Question time last evening

Started by BresslawoffoftheBunker, October 21, 2016, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Well, that managed to show us up good and proper didn't it ?

pensionater

I for one expected it to be a lot worse.I know not all the audience are actually from Hartlepool but a lot of the accents were local.It actually restored my faith in the people of Hartlepool, thanks to those who obviously disagree with the UKIP agenda.That nugget accusing Ken Clarke of not doing a days work in his life,is another matter.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Bernadette at the end spoke well and made a great point. The 'loudmouths' were, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Land Phil

I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC chose the people they did to perpetuate the myth of what it is like up north.

I know many people that have a good interest in politics and are what I would call well balanced individuals that were denied a ticket.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

mk1

It made the papers:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3858722/Polish-woman-BOOED-Question-Time-audience-saying-no-longer-feels-welcome-UK-Brexit-vote.html

The alarming incident was condemned by viewers, who branded the Hartlepool audience the 'most witless, mindlessly opinionated self destructive Question Time audience in history'

Thing is the UKIP mob think they did well. The turnip who started moaning about 'EU propaganda' in schools is typical of the UKIP mentality. They despise educators as they see the uneducated as their  core voter. 
I liked the reply Ken Clarke gave to the loudmouth who was telling him that he(Clarke) had to do what he (the 'majority') was shouting at him. He was at a loss for words when it was pointed out the majority of Clarke's constituents voted to stay in the EU.
Can you imagine how this baying mob looked and sounded to the rest of the country?
It just reinforced the stereotype  of  the  whippet-owning unsophisticated middle aged white male unable to countenance  a woman who  could have an opinion worth a hearing.

The Great Dictator

The whole thing made northerners look typically ignorant but thats how the BBC like it.

steveL

Bloody depressing reading some of those Daily Mail-Online comments. This country has obviously produced an enormous herd of the most ignorant,xenophobic bigots it's possible to imagine.

So much for 11 years of edjucayshun!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

It was an absolute car crash and very embarrassing for the town, I've been speaking to the press today about it. My views may well cost me my seat in 2018 (if I defend it) but I'd rather say what I really think and be principled than court votes by pandering the the majority.

mk1

All the reporting is 100% negative. It has gone nationwide

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/723610/Question-Time-audience-Brexit-European-Union-Ken-Clarke-remoaner-MP-Gary-Young-clear-off

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/polish-woman-booed-bbc-question-time-brexit-a7372956.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/polish-woman-booed-on-question-time-for-saying-she-feels-unwelcome-after-brexit-a3375901.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/polish-woman-bbc-question-time-brexit_uk_58094d0ee4b0f479c0d6135a

It looks like Hartlepool will now be remembered for the Monkey, Darwin  and the place where the Polish woman was  booed.  Kudos to UKIP for dragging the town into the gutter. Twitter is alive with posts saying what a terrible place Hartlepool  is.
The Daily Mail put out a call for the woman's ID and thus you can bet follow-up articles are going to shine more light of the haters in Hartlepool. This is an absolute disaster for the town.
Take a good look at who you threw your lot in with Shane.

Bit of luck that Brash picked a seat in front of the Polish woman.........................

akarjl

I must have watched a different program . I saw a woman claiming we didn't want poles or immigrants which is rubbish. When people pointed that out and yes some booed they were ignored. The brexit vote was fuelled by a need to control immigration. Nobody talked about sending people home. It is about controlling who enters.The woman had her moment talked rubbish and was listened to.

Yet again town made to look stupid....

DRiddle

I think you did watch a different programme. Some people in the audience were spouting half truths and rubbish cobbled together in their minds from a prolonged exposure to the 'drip drip drip' poison of sections of the media.

https://fullfact.org/bbcqt/2016/Oct/20

I guess NISSANs decision next month could be the acid test for Brexit and what it could do for towns like Hartlepool.

steveL

The number of immigrants in Hartlepool is ridiculously low. The idea that immigrants are taking up all the jobs, houses and school places is equally ridiculous. The 'enemy' here is not immigrants but successive Westminster governments, of both colours, who for decades have treated areas like the North East as if they were in another country.

Of course there are always political opportunists ready to provide someone to blame for people's woes. For Mussolini, it was the Albanians; for Hitler, the Jews; for Trump it's the Mexicans. Being British, we don't like to single out a particular nationality so we go for anyone who is not from the white Commonwealth and club them all together under the generic title of 'immigrants'.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/04/future-of-eu-nationals-in-uk-uncertain-may-comments-tory-leadership-brexit
The threat that the future in Britain of the 3 million EU nationals might be used “as hostages in the negotiations”, to be traded to safeguard the position of the 1.2 million Britons living in Europe was first made explicit by the former Ukip leader Lord Pearson last Wednesday.
To criticism from all sides, he told the Lords: “Do the government agree however, that if the EU were to get difficult with our nationals living there, it is we who hold the stronger hand if we retaliate, because so many more of them are living here?”
As the immigration lawyer Colin Yeo has pointed out on his Free Movement blog: “Basically Lord Pearson of Rannoch, who speaks for Ukip, basically suggested holding 3 million EU nationals as hostage in negotiations with the EU. It did not go down well with anyone else.”

SRMoore

Quote from: akarjl on October 22, 2016, 08: AM
I must have watched a different program . I saw a woman claiming we didn't want poles or immigrants which is rubbish. When people pointed that out and yes some booed they were ignored. The brexit vote was fuelled by a need to control immigration. Nobody talked about sending people home. It is about controlling who enters.The woman had her moment talked rubbish and was listened to.

Yet again town made to look stupid....

I agree with you on this one Akarjl.

It was perfectly clear to any rational minded viewer that those in the audience heckling and booing when the Polish lady spoke were doing so in disagreement with what she was saying.

She insinuated that the majority of people in this town, who voted Brexit, did so as racists and to have her sent home. That is a completely false statement and, quite frankly, insulting. That was what people booed and heckled, not her nationality.

Sadly, the whole tone of the show did not paint Hartlepool in the best light. I'm not a tin foiled hat wearing anti-BBC nutter, in fact I'd be one of those to defend license fee and the Beeb, but I could not help but feel that of all the questions that would have been put forward by audience members, it seems odd that the producers deliberately seemed to choose EU/Brexit questions that might stir things up and none about current news as is so often the case.