A Pint and a Chinese

Started by steveL, June 29, 2016, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

I gather Allan Barclay has gone into the room rental business and is letting rooms to chinese students - possible at £400 a go for exchange students though for that he does have to provide meals (hopefully solid ones).

God knows what impression it leaves the students with of British culture.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

£120 a week per student is the going rate.

DRiddle

Bless Barclay. I was told he'd served in Northern Ireland. But on enquiring further it turns out he WAS served in Northern Ireland, in The Duke of York in Belfast. Apparently they do a pint and an all day breakfast for a £6.99.

Imagine the poor Chinese kid trying to do his maths homework on the dining room table as Barclay's Falklands flashbacks kick in after his 8th can.

Part of the remit for people who house the Chinese students is the host households are supposed to converse regularly with them to help them with their grasp of English.

I AM English and I struggle to understand a damn word Alan says.

Then or course there's the issue of the clash of cultures. I'm told the importance of eye contact is drummed into Chinese people from a young age.

Imagine making a concerted effort to hold prolonged eye contact with the windows to Barclays tortured soul.

I'd be more comfortable staring into the eyes of some twitching roadkill . . .

Inspector Knacker

I'm getting Rigsby flashbacks. ;D
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

The Great Dictator

Im getting Donald Nielson flashbacks.