Drummond's Quip

Started by steveL, May 25, 2012, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Give the man his due for having a sense of humour. At the annual council meeting on Thursday when SAB was appointed Chair of the Council, Drummond recalled in his speech how he was often asked what the difference was between The Mayor and The Chair of the Council.

"I tell them, he said, "that it's a bit like The Mayor being the Prime Minister and The Chair of the Council being The Queen."

You are so, so right, Stuart.  ;D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Highlight of an evening of sycophancy... ::)

dangerman

No doubt the pair will be given a fair earing!!!!!

christine blakey

Given that this is not an isolated case, he did it at Dock Fest and having the details of the criminal conduct of the Financial Director, this is the way Officers and Members across the Council think.  If they do get a complaint in, they would then admit they were homophobic by buying silence.

When you are the butt of the hate crime, it is not a joke!

The great thing about it now is the Bribery Act 2010, there is no excuse now, however they deal with it/cover it up!

christine blakey

Bribery Act 2010 can drive for justice.  Much better than when it was pushed as OK to give out compromise agreements, especially when for hundreds of thousands of pounds as is the case when dealing with disability or other hate crime.

Just need to ensure that Officers and Councillors do not cover it up.  Needs people to be vigilant and inform.

At Dock Fest, made a homosexual joke regarding Peter Mandleson and Wayne Sleep.  It went down like a lead balloon.

christine blakey

Yes there is proof and there is also proof that the guilty guy had a huge pension package to go quietly.  With what he did, he should be in prison and we should have had a proceeds of crime claim in.

Others who were involved in it, have also had a retirement or redundancy package so they can go and fill their boots elsewhere with luxurious lifestyles.

Totally agree that those who are not ill and simply say they are should be exposed.  However there are many who are ill and they should be supported and respected. 

Anyone who bullies, threatens, isolates, and incites hatred towards someone, should be pulled up.  If a professional in public office does it, then they should be sacked for gross misconduct and their job given to someone else who needs a job. 

Gross misconduct allows instant dismissal and that means that we would have saved a fortune, i.e. in the case of homophobia well over £500,000 when you consider cover up time by senior staff and Members, sick leave, pension pay off, actual staff cover for long term sick.  Sure there are so many other cases, because if they know they can get away with it, people will do it for 'fun', and emotional or physical punch bag and aa a fall guy.

Is that four star standard for our council, the winner of awards and goodness me, the joke of an equality mark!

Straight Talking

Most of the comments made in response to Christine I actually agree with.

For those who were not at the Council Meeting where the Mayor made his comment, Stephen actually found it funny.

Discrimination actually requires the person being discriminated against to believe that this is the case, in this instance he doesn't.
So Christine, just leave it alone, mind your own business for once.

steveL

By all accounts, it's true. For once, SAB had the good sense to laugh along with everyone else. A bit of light-hearted fun before the oncoming battles won't have done anyone any harm.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Micksmate

Quote from: perseus on May 26, 2012, 08: PM
Thus, a law to ban smoking in public places (opposed in some respects by UKIP) would be absolutely spot on according to JSM. Likewise, if a person is going around SAYING things which are likely to cause harm to others (such as spreading racial hatered, overt homophobia, anti-semitism etc) this will, has and can cause HARM to others.

Thus, power (the state) has the right to exercise their power through the law to protect the vulnerable affected by the actions or words.

Honestly, you're very selective with how you apply your 'knowledge' Mr Kipperdip.

My advice: "Think before YOU speak".

This from a man who on this site said " I pity you because you are of lower intelligence than me" and "I'm sure Mr Kipperdip doesn't need you speaking up for him LLTA, I realise the debates KD and I get into are a little bit over your head, i'll try where I can to write in smaller words and even include some pictures so that you can keep up"...  Priceless, perhaps you should take your own advice first.  Once again (Me piping up) you quote other people in your long winded "debates" isn't it about time you stopped using Google and Wikipedia and started to use your (in your own words) massive brain power to come up with some of your own arguments or is it simply the fact you need other peoples words to make you sound intelligent. 

Micksmate

Quote from: perseus on May 28, 2012, 06: AM
Micksmate, that is without doubt the most pathetic message posted on here for quite some time. Congratulations.

I wonder how many other people feel the same way as you about this pathetic message?

When a person quotes someone, whose view I happen to share (mostly), thats called 'sharing an opinion'. Given the fact that JSM was born over 100 odd years before me, (as were all early economists, philosophers etc.) I can hardly 'invent existing philosophy' can I?

I didn't ask you to "invent existing philosophy" you silly man, I asked you to use your own words in your "debates"

You wont find a word of that on wikipedia (probably appart from the bit QUOTED which is widely known).

I used to use wikipedia, google and various other ICT tools to check if my students had  plagiarized their work so believe me it is easy to find out what is peoples own work or whether they have simply changed round some of the text to make it look like their own.

Honestly man, shape up, you're just embarrassing yourself. . .

Try reading some of your posts thoroughly and then you will see what embarrassing is, especially from someone who got a masters degree from Cambridge?  I also noticed you didn't address your crass arrogance when you said you pitied another poster because he was of lower intelligence than you, sometimes these things come back and bite you. 

Julie noted

BRITAIN IS FULL          CHOCKER BLOCK           NO MORE ROOM :o
That is the crux of the issue.
We have integrated millions over the last 200 years and have had very few 'issues'. We have had thousands of 'mixed marriages' over the years, with very few 'issues'.

The reason people are crying out STOP! is because we can not sustain the continuing influx from abroad, the majority of which are for financial reasons.

The last labour govt. exacerbated the problem by opening up our borders to anyone, from anywhere.
Despite our medical/financial/social structure being unable to withstand such an influx.

We send billions of £s to rich countries (even though their ministers stated that they didn't want or need the aid) and yet our own people face a postcode lottery for drugs for cancer etc.

'NICE' (a stupid misnomer if ever there was one) refuse finance for many drugs because 'we can't afford them'.
We charge our people £7.65 PER ITEM for prescriptions; so many people do without, as they can't afford to buy multiple items.

Racist? The only racist people are those that fight to allow this country to be over-run by people from anywhere in the world, whilst the indigenous population suffers...they are racist against British people!!!!

Micksmate

Just for perseus:

Why We Still March
Why do you still march old man, with those medals on your chest
Why do you still grieve old man, for those friends you laid to rest
Why do your eyes gleam old man, when you hear those bugles blow
Tell me why you cry old man, for those days so long ago?

I'll tell you why I march young man, with those medals on my chest
I'll tell you why I grieve young man, for those friends I laid to rest
Through misty fields of gossamer silk, come visions of distant times
When boys of very tender age, marched forth to distant climes

So young they were, with blossomed cheek, their eyes shone bright and clear
Scant knowledge of this sinful world, thought nought of hate or fear
Their laughter rang through strange bare rooms,
hardships they were soon to know
All they knew, was beyond their shores, was a deadly vicious foe

They left behind, their boring life, they had nothing much to give
So they laid their lives on the line, so you, young man, could live

With bayonet, gun and blossomed cheek, the innocence of their youth
They stood alone with fearsome pride, and perceived the awful truth
The truth they learned, they had to die, (it's not easy when you're young)
The gods of war had chosen them, and stilled their youthful tongues

The guns they crashed, the Stukas dived, shells tore their flesh asunder
I smelt their blood; I watched them die, as the War Lords claimed their plunder
And as these Warrior Gods passed by, they smiled at their obscene death
Gone were their apple-blossomed cheeks, scorched by Napalm's pernicious breath

We buried them in a blanket shroud, their young flesh scorched and blackened
A communal grave newly gouged, in the bloodstained gorse and bracken
And you ask me why I march young man; I march to remind you all
But for those apple-blossomed youth
FREEDOM.. would have been lost to ALL!

Bill Ridley (DLI) © 1990

Micksmate

For a person with a masters degree from Cambridge that really is so very childish.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Micksmate on May 28, 2012, 10: PM
For a person with a masters degree from Cambridge that really is so very childish.
You can send a fool to university, but all you end up with is an educated fool.  ::)
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.