H.V.D.A.

Started by notinshadow, May 22, 2012, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benefitcheat

I wonder how many of those groups are active and what percentage are in receipt of public money.

Some of the more well known ones don't just look to the council for funding, and lots of them don't just get grant funding that is normally monitored with a very light touch, many of the smaller ones don't get any public money but have to exist as groups for insurance purposes etc.

There would be nothing stopping High Tax Hartlepool, or PHF registering as a charitable/voluntary group if they had a defined purpose, in fact for PHF that route could be a good one to try alongside the political party.

I also wonder how many of these groups are directly supported by HVDA, and indeed what relevance HVDA itself has in a town like Hartlepool.

Quote from: testicles on May 23, 2012, 02: PM
All of the above charities should have to declare the salaries of anyone who takes one before they can be considered for a grant.
10 years ago the Trincomalee got a £50k donation even though the manager still earned £43,000.

Without knowing the facts around their accounts at the time and the other income they had it would be unfair to criticise that in isolation, if the only income was £50k and £43k was paid to one person it would be dodgy.

The Great Dictator

The income was considerably more than 50k.

Most of those charities don't even apply for funding, most will have subscriptions and race nights.

Greg X

What a miserable lot some of you are! It is difficult to pick many organisations from the list (apart from the schools and churches) that, if they did not exist, the town would be diminished. I have passing aquaintence with quite a few of them and none of them take any public money at all. They pay their own way with hard work, dedication and fundraising.
Every town and city in the country will have a similar list of charities (it is not the full list of local charitable organisations) and not having them would cost local and national governments billions.

Yes, the Charities Commission should crack down on the fake charities, schools and churches.

Edit: Of course the schools should exist, and the people can have their churches - just not as charities.

mk1

The mistake being made is to assume the aim is to fund good causes when in reality it is a  private job club/funding source  for the well connected Councillor and family class.

for fawkes sake

I think the shame is that a great number of very laudable charities find themselves being painted with the same brush because of the self-enriching activities of a small minority. It's a trap we musn't fall into because there are many, many people who give their time freely for the benefit of others.
Of course, it's exactly because this is true that the behaviour of the minority is so contemptible.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

Julie noted

You know what makes my skin creep?
When I read of those (no, I'd better not) stating they work in the 'voluntary sector', as though they are some sort of 'angel'.

All they are, in reality, are clerks. Pen pushers. Non producers.

Simply channeling our money into various organisations in the town.

How do they think that is being in the 'voluntary sector'?
They work in an office, taking a salary, having holidays, sick days etc. just like anyone else in the Civic, or any other office block in the town.

Voluntary sector? Sanctimonious bull excreta.

christine blakey

Easily sorted if each project is evaluated by independent people, such as the residents of Hartlepool.

Get a copy of applications with outcomes of what they said they would do to get the money and see if they are achieving it, and if it was needed.  If people worked together in order to streamline community CIC's and Charities, there would be no escape.  They would have to deliver as the majority are set up to support residents and regeneration needing help.