Why did Wells wobble

Started by Lord Elpus, July 02, 2014, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Elpus

According to the comments section on the 'Mail' website Wells was going to vote for the increase in allowances. 

Was he then told that the Comrades were going to back down? 

It could explain him readjusting his position. 

stokoe

I really believe there was a lot of roll play between them all.

steveL

Check the detail. Wells asked for clarification if the reference was to the basic allowance or his special responsibility allowance suggesting that he still hopes to see his extra allowance as Chair of Audit and Governance increased.

Note too CAB's carefully constructed response '. . . elected members shall only receive an increase in their basic allowance in-line with that awarded to our staff, as and when their increase is confirmed by Government.'

This means that the basic allowance would still be increased by the 1% currently on offer to council staff and it still leaves the way open to a percentage increase from 70% to 100% to the Chair of Audit and Governance.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

craig finton

Given their poor performance in the elections Labour would have been stupid to support this. It was foolish asking for a review at all at the present time.

one direction

Quote from: craig finton on July 02, 2014, 01: PMIt was foolish asking for a review at all at the present time.

I thought the review was carried out by an Independent panel and happened every year? It wasn't requested? I have done a bit of research and can't find out who is on the independent remuneration panel but I have discovered it is appointed by the Council's Audit and Governance Committee. Talk about conflict of interest! Does anyone know who is on this panel?