Boxing champion.

Started by The Great Dictator, May 21, 2012, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Dictator

:) Great to see that Savannah Marshall won the gold medal at the world championships although i felt for the poor kid when she struggled to
answer simple questions in the post fight interview. I only hope her management give her some guidance especially with the Olympics coming up.
The brave 21 year old looked as though she had been to the Stuart Drummond school of public speaking  :-[

codheadless

Savannah is a very quiet shy girl, she had just finished her fight when a camera and microphone were thrust at her, her emotions will of been all over the place.
Dont think there is any need to compare her to Drummond.

steveL

. . . a bit of a churlish post, I think by suggesting that the quality of the girl's achievenment is somehow diluted by her not attending a public speaking course as part of her training.

the girl done good - you don't have to say anything else.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

christine blakey

She was brilliant and I hope Amanda Coulson is soon boxing her way to Olympic success.  It is fabulous that Hartlepool can boast of some really good boxers, male and female.

I know that people can have concerns about boxing and quite frankly it has to be admitted that people need to be professional about it, and play by the rules.  With that in place, there should be no life threatening injury to be had.  My son started boxing and it was the best thing he did as his confidence grew and he became mega fit.  Then one of the rappers whom I support is also a great boxer.

It is a discipline and just look at what Hartlepool has on offer?

Well done to all of them, it is brilliant that it is a fitness sport that is not based in Church Street in the early hours!

I am absolutely sure that Savanah will be brilliant on the mike when the sudden shock of landing the winning trophy sets in.  She will have been extremely exhausted when interviewed.  She looks great in today's Hartlepool Mail.

The Great Dictator

Its bad enough listening to Drummond, Graham Storm and Michael Hunter talking on TV, she'll be in the public eye nationally if she wins an olympic medal.
I'm right behind her, maybe Christine Blakey could give her some elocution lessons before the games start..?

brassed off monkey

Quote from: testicles on May 21, 2012, 06: PM
Its bad enough listening to Drummond, Graham Storm and Michael Hunter talking on TV, she'll be in the public eye nationally if she wins an olympic medal.
I'm right behind her, maybe Christine Blakey could give her some elocution lessons before the games start..?

There is a difference, The Sportsmen & Women that have represented Hartlepool have "Selflessly" given their time & expertise to achieve success that reflects well on the town.

I for one find it offensive to compare them with someone who has taken so much from Hartlepool & has put so little in, the mayor has had 10 years of of experience & he still has major problems when faced with an audience.

I don`t expect Savannah Marshall to be comfortable in front of the media & i feel sure she was almost overwhelmed by the occasion, but she should be congratulated on a magnificent achievement.

To suggest that her World Championship win is in any way tarnished because she doesn`t speak like a BBC newsreader is churlish in the extreme & to be perfectly honest you should be ashamed at the tone of your post.

mk1

Several studies have shown they we subconciously judge people within seconds of a meeting. The first impresion you give  lasts for the length of the relationship.
Anyone  seeing a poor 'interview' is going to remember it and (again subconciously) use it to reinforce any negative stereotypes that already have of that type of person. 'Type'  means other people from that area/town.
We  have had years of being judged by our association to  Dumbo and if the  interview is a bad one (I have nor seen it) then a wise trainer would ensure no more are given in those circumnstances. Play to your strengths not your weakness!

christine blakey

I know Amanda Coulson and she is such a selfless person, so a good description of boxers in general as they focus on their sport in Hartlepool.  I am sure that Savanah is the same.

I know that the comment about me was said in jest as they know I would help someone along whatever and wherever, so no offence taken.

It is true that first impressions alongside negative stereotypes count.  Therefore, the praise for Savanah and other sports personalities in our town is wonderful. 

The Great Dictator

Praise indeed Miss Blakey, the first 4 seconds of meeting someone gives you a mental impression of them as a person and thats fact.

Brass monkey, get off your high horse and get real, i know the press better than you do and i tell you that they will make an example of
her in that special BBC way if she doesn't get help.

LLTA, no i will not tell her to her face, she'll knock the sh*t out of me..

To go back to my original comment, i hope her management or the olympic authorities get her trained soon because those bas*ards
in the BBC will eat her alive.

mk1

The Great Dictator

Thanks Mk1, those BBC sh*ts make my blood boil..

Stig of the Seaton Dump

The interview wasn't that unkind ..it was obvious she was worn out and not an idiot to anybody watching.

TOTALLY different to seeing Dumbo being interviewed.
I don't believe it.

not4me

Something for the town to celebrate for once. Good for her and well done!

Benefitcheat

What a very silly and cowardly post by Testicles (an apt name methinks). Rather than congratulate someone from the town who has been crowned best in the world at her chosen sport he simply has to pick on the young woman's lack of diction in a post fight interview.

Some people in Hartlepool can find nothing to be happy about, no solutions to problems and many can't even be bothered to try.

Perhaps in the other thread I responded to about the hospital people have believed the nonsense folk like Testicles peddles and have decided their is no point giving it a go because we're only from Hartlepool and who listens to us. 

Well done Savannah you're a credit to the town even if a few aspiring intellectuals can manage to pick fault from behind their computers.

mk1

Quote from: Benefitcheat on May 22, 2012, 12: PM
he simply has to pick on the young woman's lack of diction in a post fight interview.

I knew nothing about her until I saw the message. In an attempt to find the interview I googled her and what struck me was the many mentions of her as 'of few words' so it is not confined to this one event.
One newspaper article  made great play of it.
It takes nothing away from the  victory but it is something that could be addressed with a modicum of coaching.