will an expat make a good councillor?.

Started by pensionater, May 10, 2014, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Quote from: pensionater on May 11, 2014, 08: PM
.You really should try talking to people face to face instead of just in the virtual world.

Do you think everyone who criticises you is a sad lonely person with no friends and a coward who would not dare talk like  this to anyone face to face?

Thats a really original claim. I do not think I have ever seen it made before.....................

pensionater

Mk1 if you attacked everyone the same then fair enough.The thing is you are very selective when it comes  to people not quite telling it like it is.

mk1

Quote from: pensionater on May 11, 2014, 09: PM
Mk1 if you attacked everyone the same then fair enough.The thing is you are very selective when it comes  to people not quite telling it like it is.

I don't tell anything 'as it is'. You must be confusing me with a  local blogger who suffers from tourettes.
I have also 'attacked' just about everyone here. I say (and was saying long before you arrived) that all politician become corrupt and that the only solution is a fixed term in office. That applies to PHF. Obviously I was remiss in expecting people to undestand they (PHF) are included in then phrase 'all politicians'.
There are regulars here who have attacked PHF. Notably the UKIPers. I have not  'attacked' them for this. I expect them to do it. They are a rival party. Shane has attacked Riddle and PHF. I expect Shane to do this. He is a rival.

What I will not stand by and watch is a bunch of loud-mouthed bullies joining  here for no other reason than to gang up on Riddle and by association PHF.
They engage in mob handed  personal  attacks  on him and they can be seen gloating about it on a local downmarket blogs.

Those tits  belong to me. Riddle is far too nice to be able  deal with these jokers. If they want a fight then I am up for it.

As for who gets elected I really do not expect a PHF landslide. Nor a UKIP one. I dare say it will be the odd seat here and there gradualy over a few years but the Lab-Con group will  more likely disintergate over some finacial scandal than get voted out. My  take is a hierarachy of what I do not want. The last people I want in charge are the  incumbents. I would be happier with PHF in charge than UKIP but at a pinch I can live with UKIP.

Pwilson

MK1, just picking up on a couple of points in your last post.

I think councillors shouldn't be secure in a seat for life as some Labour stalwarts seem to have found themselves with.

Maybe there should be system (don't ask how it would work really) where councillors can only take any reward or stand for re-election of they can prove a series of successes in their ward & in their area of responsibility if they are portfolio holders or committee members.

mk1

It would be much simpler if there was  a 5 year time limit for any councillor.

Pwilson

Wouldn't that just mean they were less likely to back big/long term projects?

mk1

So  you think  only those with 'vision' would surround Seaton with the biggest landfill site in the UK?

steveL

Sadly, I don't think that there are that many people willing to step up to the plate, so to speak, to sustain limits on length of term. When we can't get people to vote, think how hard it is to get people to stand.

It's a sorry state of affairs but there you go.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

It is only'hard' to get people to stand if they are a party choice. Open it so anyone can stand without all the hoops designed to keep out  'undesirables' and you will be trampled in the stampede.

Pwilson

Quote from: mk1 on May 11, 2014, 09: PM
So  you think  only those with 'vision' would surround Seaton with the biggest landfill site in the UK?

I figured it was part of a longer term plan to turn Seaton into a medieval style fort themed resort with massive walls made of litter around it.

I think Steve is right about the limited number of people willing to step up to the plate, but maybe that would change if local politics was filled with people focused on local issues not the whim of a national party.

steveL

Quote from: mk1 on May 11, 2014, 10: PM
It is only'hard' to get people to stand if they are a party choice. Open it so anyone can stand without all the hoops designed to keep out  'undesirables' and you will be trampled in the stampede.

Not sure if I follow that. Anyone can stand as a councillor, they don't have to align themselves with a party and if enough people support them they get elected.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

Why would anyone in their right mind want to stand as a councilor ?

Look at the vitriol the likes of Driddle has had to put up with both on here & on the Mails website, even his father has come in for a torrent of abuse from several of the moronic a****oles that have posted on here.

The one constant in the decline of Hartlepool as a town is A Labour MP & Council, that decline has become even more obvious under "The Deary Me Leader & His Mob".

I would be willing to give anybody & I mean anybody a chance to improve things, but I also recognise that things have become so bad that it would be an almost impossible task to reverse the damage caused by the inept governance by Labour.

pensionater

If you honestly believe Mk1 that all politicians in the end become corrupt,(and actually for once i don't disagree)then maybe the "don't vote"campaigners are right.What's the use  of voting if you get the same same old? .

mk1

It is not that they are evil people but after a while we all get delusions about our own importance. The  time-line is something like this:

I am new and thus will  make sure I am completely open and transparent.

I can not tell those people that 'X' is going to happen on them so for the good of the majority I will keep quiete on what is going to happen.

I can not let anyone else  get my seat. They will ruin all my good work. I know my party has member Y who is an out and out crook but  in order to keep the party in power this must be covered up. It is a price worth paying.

No one else can replace me. I am vital to my area's prosperity. No  dirty trick  is to be left unused in order to keep me in power.

I say it is the height of arrogance to believe  one is irreplacable and  there are 1000's of people in the town who could, at random, replace those in charge and there would not be the slightest difference in performance.

Everyone dies eventualy and as far as I am aware the world has never imploded because any one invdidual  was unable to continue in post.   

If you vote you keep the buggers on their toes and an eventual turfing out after a set period lessons the chance of building youself a nice fat pension via planning applications granted to  those who contribute most  to your favourite charideee