Teesside or Durham?

Started by Inspector Knacker, May 01, 2014, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

What is your definition of Teesside...?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

DRiddle

Come on Riddler5, I don't define a geographical area or a conurbation. I think people's definition of Teesside is fairly consistent. Isn't it?

Inspector Knacker

Do you define Hartlepool as part of Teesside...?

DRiddle

I don't think it really matters how i personally define things. Does it? I mean, just in my life time Hartlepool has been part of Durham, Cleveland, Teesside, and as far as I know Hartlepool has never significantly 'moved'.

I realise there's the whole issue of 'The City of Teesside' and will we be just a 'dormitory town' within that. Which i'm guessing is where you're question might be heading?

In terms of me personally, I write Teesside down if asked my address on a form... mainly, to ensure my mail ends up in the right place.  ;)

stokoe

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 02, 2014, 07: AM
Do you define Hartlepool as part of Teesside...?

Riddler we wish it could be county durham,i personally write my address as hartlepool durham and damn proud of it. Well it does state that on my birth certificate.

SRMoore

I too write Co Durham for my address. For numerous reasons but the main being that the title deeds of our house from Land Registry clearly state Hartlepool, Co Durham.

Land Phil

I use the address Hartlepool, Co. Durham as I was glad to see the back of Cleveland.

What a stupid idea Cleveland was, when you have the heritage and global reputation of Yorkshire and Durham.

I sometimes order off the 'net and use the address Landfill City ....the postman never fails to deliver.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: DRiddle on May 02, 2014, 08: AM
I don't think it really matters how i personally define things. Does it?

I realise there's the whole issue of 'The City of Teesside' and will we be just a 'dormitory town' within that. Which i'm guessing is where you're question might be heading?

In terms of me personally, I write Teesside down if asked my address on a form... mainly, to ensure my mail ends up in the right place.  ;)
Of course it matters..... that's why I'm asking the question.
Am I right in assuming you don't have an issue with us being part of Teesside...?
As for putting down 'Teesside' on any form.....never have done but why on earth would I want to or need to.....it's the little things that say a lot.

DRiddle

QuoteSo you'll see what turns up.........?

No, i'd wait until I could make an informed decision based on all of the options on offer. I'd weigh up the pros and cons of all the options.

More importantly, I personally see an issue like this, as being worthy of a referendum.

I don't think any councillor, or even majority group in council should be making this call. It should be decided by the people who live in the town.

That's assuming enough of them care to actually bother voting... which is debatable.

DRiddle

That's the spirit.... roll over and die before the battles even started...  >:(

steveL

In my view, and I've said it many times, nothing of any good has ever come from us having closer ties with Teesside.

I can remember Radio Tees or someone doing a video survey of the Headland on people's views as to whether they considered themselves to be Hartlepool part of Durham or Teesside. They couldn't find anyone who thought of Hartlepool being part of Teesside.

The lesson is already there from the Cleveland days and not a lot has changed.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: DRiddle on May 02, 2014, 03: PM
That's the spirit.... roll over and die before the battles even started...  >:(
You'll learn that the 'rolling over and dying' is the politicians field....we, the electorate, merely hold our noses and mark the ballot paper.

pensionater

I must admit Driddle it didn't take long for you to turn into a true politician,i.e,when someone asks you a question try and figure out what answer they are looking for and tell them what you think they want to hear. P.S who is Bailey?.

Inspector Knacker

Ah...... I see the debate has been somewhat stifled by posts being deleted.....airbrush or remodelling time...?

fred c

It seems to me that some posters are looking at a Grain of Sand through the Hubble Telescope on the forums at the moment.

Whatever is going to happen Re. Tees Valley Unlimited will happen, unless the people of the various Boroughs are allowed a vote on the matter... If that mean a referendum, so be it.

As it stands at the moment however, the Shower of S**t that are currently running the town would sell their souls to be a part of the "Tees Valley", that fact alone should prompt people to think long & hard about who they should vote for.

There is no better example of what will happen to services & jobs in Hartlepool under a wider Government, than the Closure of The Hospital.