The best £500 Ken ever spent.

Started by notinshadow, May 16, 2012, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkey Kong

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 17, 2012, 11: AM

Just as well, as that is a wide net they are chucking out to catch a fish.

You see TORY, this is the point I was trying to make earlier in saying that people should read the actual report.

There seems to have been a lot of people on here (not necessarily you by the way) running their mouth on the issue based upon what they've read in The Mail or what their mates have told them down the pub about how IOR are going to be given all of the land from the Odeon to Clarence Road in return for a vague promise of building something and who haven't even read the actual published report on the issue which shows this to be utter balls.

mk1

I see all the guff about 'jobs', 'development' and heaven help us, 'sustainability' (where legacy?) but I suspect the average fan could not give a flying f**k about anything other than getting the ground for nowt.
The meat is getting the ground and to that end all sorts of hopes and promises are being raised in order to deflect attention from the fact something belonging to the town is to be given away to (of all things) an oil company.
It is  self-interest plain and simple and the monkey in charge wants it so badly that  both his brain cells have been placed in suspended animation (difficult ermmm...to... ermmm....tell if....ermmm...they ever ermmm.....worked) until the deed is done.
I do not know who is the more gullible.
The people believing it will result in a transformation of the area or those who believe it will result in First Division Football for the club.

no6bus

Quote from: mk1 on May 17, 2012, 07: PM
I see all the guff about 'jobs', 'development' and heaven help us, 'sustainability' (where legacy?) but I suspect the average fan could not give a flying f**k about anything other than getting the ground for nowt.
wrong again as usual, i think the football club should pay for the ground, provided they are afforded the same privileges the council members have enjoyed over the years. the club shouldnt be made to bail out the coffers thaat have been wasted away like baden street etc.
The meat is getting the ground and to that end all sorts of hopes and promises are being raised in order to deflect attention from the fact something belonging to the town is to be given away to (of all things) an oil company.
It is  self-interest plain and simple and the monkey in charge wants it so badly that  both his brain cells have been placed in suspended animation (difficult ermmm...to... ermmm....tell if....ermmm...they ever ermmm.....worked) until the deed is done.
I do not know who is the more gullible.
The people believing it will result in a transformation of the area or those who believe it will result in First Division Football for the club.

no6bus

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 17, 2012, 09: PM

They have been leasing it since the 60's

The long game from IOR point of view will be to obtain the ground and land and sell it on at some point for big money I would guess.

Isn't that what you or I would do when the council are stupid enought to give them the ground and land around it.

I would..and richly live happily ever after in a land far away from Hartlepool.

The End.
in order to sell something you need a buyer given how many football clubs are going tits up would you like to buy a loss making football club. and once again we come to the point of making sure that things are put in place to prevent the club selling the land off for redevelopment

no6bus

No6

How much?

i think £250,000 with covenants in place to prevent the sale for developments.

for fawkes sake

The attraction of a loss making football club to an Oil Company is the tax relief that can be claimed on the losses of the football club thereby minimising the tax liability of the Oil Company and maximising its profits on its other operations. Simples.

"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

The Great Dictator

I say give them it free with a clause that gives the council half the value if it is sold in the future. Historically, sporting clubs and religious institutions receive land from councils free to develop their stance in the community. Pools United have proved this for over 100 years now and should be afforded the treatment received by other organisations in the town. Whether or not they take up the option to expand is another matter but on the whole the town benefits from having a league one football club that is talked about on TV channels every week and that attracts attention from around the world also. Drummond has bottled it for the last 10 years, a sign of weakness and limited ability, let's see what the next 6 months brings with the new faces on the council..

brassed off monkey

I wonder how many of the Pools fans who want the ground at discount or even free, paid full price for their season tickets ?

If they are so passionate about "Their Club" why did so many of them take advantage of the £100 discount ticket, surely they should be the first to put their money where their mouths are & pay the going rate ?

Donkey Kong

They have been leasing it since the 60's

The long game from IOR point of view will be to obtain the ground and land and sell it on at some point for big money I would guess.

Isn't that what you or I would do when the council are stupid enought to give them the ground and land around it.

I would..and richly live happily ever after in a land far away from Hartlepool.

The End.

Have you read the report yet?

In it there is a statement which would insert a clause giving HBC first option on any future sale / purchase of the ground with a predetermined consideration of zero.  Not really a good long term plan for selling it on there is there.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 18, 2012, 01: AM

Hasn't Pools been given/or bought the club once for silly money, from when the rugby club went broke back in the day?

I might be wrong but it's worth mentioning.

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about here, can you expand further?

The only thing that I can think of is that West played at the ground for a couple of years after they left Brierton Lane but they never bought it and then gave it to HUFC, it always remained in the ownership of HBC.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: brassed off monkey on May 18, 2012, 07: AM
I wonder how many of the Pools fans who want the ground at discount or even free, paid full price for their season tickets ?

If they are so passionate about "Their Club" why did so many of them take advantage of the £100 discount ticket, surely they should be the first to put their money where their mouths are & pay the going rate ?

As far as I can gather everybody paid full price for their season ticket last season.  The full price was the amount which was charged by the football club regardless of what level they set that price at.

Your post is a red herring anyway, it's just a cheap shot to try and justify an unrelated point in addition to being factually incorrect.  Obviously you strongly object to the Millhouse area of the town being redeveloped, which is your prerogative, but coming up with spurious arguments such as this is just silly.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 18, 2012, 08: AM
D.K.

The Vic was origionally owned by a rugby club that went bust and Pools took it over.

I am going back  to the first couple of years of HUFC existance.

YES/NO

Back to the early 20th century, before WW1?  Can't give you a yes or no on that mate as not being an avid HUFC supporter I'm not aware of that kind of history.

Micksmate

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 18, 2012, 01: AM

Hasn't Pools been given/or bought the club once for silly money, from when the rugby club went broke back in the day?

I might be wrong but it's worth mentioning.

I believe Rugby used to be played at the old dog track now Morrisons.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 18, 2012, 09: AM
Also about this first option to sale/purchase..

Why would HBC want to buy something back they already own and gave away as surely that would defeat the object.

That pretty much rules them out I guess.

Why would it rule them out in the scenario that you are proposing, i.e. that there is money to be made to a potential purchaser?  If that was the case then all HBC would have to do is buy back at zero and then sell on to whoever is interested in paying substantial monies for the site (which seems to be the major problem that opponents of the scheme have with the idea therefore fully negated).