bet this brings back memories

Started by Lord Elpus, March 27, 2014, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Elpus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26748428

This happened in Hartlepool over 12 years ago when a large number of students at HCFE suddenly found themselves  members of the Labour Party.  Fisher then Party Chair ordered an investigation, Steve Belcher was the LCP Youth Officer at the time.

Wonder if anyone has a copy of that report, bet Carl has one in his SAB file.

mk1

Lord Elpus

Quote from: mk1 on March 27, 2014, 10: PM
Quote from: Lord Elpus on March 27, 2014, 05: PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26748428

This happened in Hartlepool over 12 years ago.

Did it make The Mail?

I think it did, I know for a fact that the Mail knew about it directly from the main complainant.  He objected to his son (16) being in a Young Labour meeting and being offered alcohol.   Give Fisher his due as Hartlepool CLP Chairman he called for an investigation straight away. 

mk1

Quote from: Lord Elpus on March 27, 2014, 10: PM

I think it did, I know for a fact that the Mail knew about it directly from the main complainant.  He objected to his son (16) being in a Young Labour meeting and being offered alcohol.   Give Fisher his due as Hartlepool CLP Chairman he called for an investigation straight away.

If you could narrow the date down a bit it would save me a lot of searching.

Lord Elpus

I think it was pre 2002, I've emailed the Father of the person concerned.  If he replies I post details on here.

Lord Elpus

I got a reply from one of the interested parties;

'I think ***** was 15 at the time of the pub AGM, probably 2001 pre march 27. There were 3 people there, Belcher, his secretary (a young chubby lass as I recall ***** description), and *****. ***** was offered a position within the youth party structure and a free trip with spending money to the youth labour conference in Glasgow if he didn't let on that the meeting wasn't quorate. From my memory of what you told me at the time there was suspicion of misappropriation of youth labour funds claimed on behalf of fictitious members, including paying someone's uni fees. I know SB went to Teesside uni around that time, or shortly after. I wonder if he got a bursary – and what he was studying and if he ever graduated. I have no knowledge of the Mail having been informed of any of this, though I did write to all councillors, I think when SB was first elected making them aware of the aborted investigation. I also wrote to, and received a reply from, Edwin Jefferies who replaced Keith Fisher. As I remember Keith appointed Michael Johnson, Pam Hargreaves and Iain Wright as the enquiry team. They all got council seats shortly thereafter, Belcher shortly after that, then Wrighty got the big one'.

I have also spoke Keith Fisher who is sure he kept his own notes on the incident.

As I said, bet this brings back memories.