Inspiration Turns to Desperation

Started by testing times, November 23, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

The funny thing is, I can't imagine that any private entrepreneur would ever have been given planning permission to open such a place within the cemetery boundary - let alone granted a liquor license or allowed to open till 11pm

I think this is all about the public's expectation from the start that this whole foolhardy idea will flounder and you're right, the desperation now creeping in to try and make the figures add up.

fred c

I suspect the place is struggling to make any money, so instead of doing what any private business would do to try & make a few quid, ie. cut costs by reducing hours to cut the overheads & the wage bill.....

HBC look to have decided that they will throw even more money at it by increasing the hours, resulting in extra overheads & wages.

All that aside, i just don`t believe that it is right or proper to have the cafe open at that time of night... cos it won`t be a cafe.... it will be a pub.......... within the cemetery.

" tt " is perfectly correct, if a private individual had wanted to set up such a business in the same place he would have been laughed out of the civic.

Hartlepudlion

It would become a pub. Probably with subsidised prices for the SCAB's coterie.

But isn't the cafe just outside the cemetery? If so, don't use this as an argument against if you are going to object. Close proximity maybe.

I was told a while back that three objections to a planning application means it is passed to the planning committee - less and it is automatically passed. I hear that a few Cllrs, including Labour, are against. If Labour don't call a three line whip it should fail.

Personally, I don't think it should be passed - too close to Greensides for one.

fred c

The Cafe is in the Cemetery... the house was once lived in  by "Little Ernie & his Good Lady", who was the sister of John O`Donnell, a late & fondly remembered WHRFC stalwart.

Lord Elpus

Ernie Scott was a great bloke and well liked by all who knew him.  I've had many a pint with him and John over the years, happy times.

Prior to that Ron Grubb (best Park Superintendent Hartlepool ever had) lived at the Cemetery Lodge before he moved to the Fens.  Interestingly the Park Lodge was where past West Hartlepool, Parks Superintendents lived.  At one time a father and son team, Albert and Arthur Maunders were in charge and by all accounts were two interesting gentlemen.

Jefferies was the last Parks Superintendent in old Hartlepool and lived in the lodge at West View Cemetery.  No huge salaries then and very little admin staff (only 2 for the Parks and Cemetery department in 1965, Wilf and Bert). 

Ryehill

I don't think that there is a need for a late license in the cafe. Pubs and clubs around the town are struggling as it is.  However I do think that the cafe should be given a chance to prove whether or not it is viable, and that can only be done when the whole concept is complete and after a full years trading.
                  I visited it a few weeks ago and I thought that the place had potential. The staff were helpful ,the menu varied and the cafe comfortable. There is a pleasant garden area which when finished will be an added attraction. Why not give the place a chance .

stokoe

Quote from: Ryehill on November 24, 2013, 10: AM
                 I don't think that there is a need for a late license in the cafe. Pubs and clubs around the town are struggling as it is.  However I do think that the cafe should be given a chance to prove whether or not it is viable, and that can only be done when the whole concept is complete and after a full years trading.
                  I visited it a few weeks ago and I thought that the place had potential. The staff were helpful ,the menu varied and the cafe comfortable. There is a pleasant garden area which when finished will be an added attraction. Why not give the place a chance .

aye but you don't live in the road rye hill do you.do you know that tanfield road has had 6 planning applications in the last 2 years and none of them are finished none of them,the road is like a shithole,and yes belcher if your reading this please come round canvassing cos i would love that pal.

stokoe

This is the wages this staff is on,nice when you can get it.and also the garden staff which is extra.
Coffee House Catering Assistants
Coffee House Catering Assistants required for a new Coffee House opening in Hartlepool.
Organisation Logo
Contract Type:Permanent
Salary:Band 5 – £15,444 - £16,054 (pro-rata)
Employment Location:Hartlepool
Working Pattern:Full time
Post Number:SR-106153
Job category:Other

Coffee House Supervisors
Coffee House Supervisor required for a new Coffee House opening in Hartlepool.
Organisation Logo
Salary:Band 7 £17,802- £19,126 pro rata if job shared
Working Pattern:Full time
Post Number:106154
Job category:Ot
Coffee House Kitchen Assistants
Kitchen Assistants required for a new Coffee House opening in Hartlepool.
Organisation Logo
Salary:Band 3 £13,589 - £13,874 pro rata
Working Pattern:Part time
Post Number:106155
Job category:Other

I work out the hourly rates to be:
Supervisors: £9.50
Catering Assistants: £9
Kitchen Assistants: £7.04
(Based on a 37.5 hr week)
I notice it doesn't say how many of each so it's hard to say what the total costs will be but you can add about 14% for salary oncosts and then there's running costs (electric/heating etc)

stokoe

Did not see this in the mail from a few days ago,councillor cranny wrote.

But Coun Cranney said residents had also raised concerns about the number of people using the cafe that park on Tanfield Road when there is a car park to the rear of the coffee house.

There had been 12 objections but no objectors were present at the meeting.

but mr cranny there was objectors there and we still said we weren't happy.

just to let people know the garden centre was broken into 4 days ago and this morning when i walked in to the cemetery the cafe had been done so i phoned the police to report it,so can i ask mr cranny that when my insurance goes up can i ask h.b.c for the difference cos its there premises thats making it high risk area.

steveL

The whole 'café in the crem' idea is so flawed in every respect that it has become a fascinating insight into the mind of HBC - or rather a small number of councillors within the local Labour group. The idea would never have made it passed any high street bank asked to fund it and yet HBC look hell bent on ignoring any rules or any local concerns in their increasingly desperate attempts to make the idea work.

At some point, no doubt after wasting even more tens of thousands of pounds, they will be forced into admitting that this was always a dead parrot.

The people in Tanfield Road must be wondering what on earth they have done to deserve all of this.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.