Potential Council Leaders

Started by UnknownUser, November 26, 2018, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnknownUser

Given experience or lack of, who could even be in a position to become Council Leader? Whether it's a Labour Council or a Council with No Overall Control?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you, you know your nation is doomed.

Ayn Rand

DRiddle

As it stands the council leader (if CAB is removed) has to come from the Labour group. That is reason enough to rule out Shane, James and Mike. Jonathan Brash is not a councillor at present and therefore isn't an option at present. The only serious option 'post CAB' in my opinion is Dave Hunter.

My key reason being the council is crying out for INTEGRITY in terms of its leadership.  After 5 years of calamities and perceptions of the pursuit of self interest (The Peer reviews words not mine), the number one priority MUST be to get someone in charge who will makes decisions for the right reasons and based on good old fashioned morality and decency.

I haven't always agreed with Dave Hunter's voting record on certain decisions, but it was clear very quickly to me that he has a moral compass and is involved in local politics for the right reasons.

Whether Dave Hunter would WANT the job though is a different story.

In terms of council leaders in a 'no overall control' or indeed future situation, that's at least 2 years away if indeed it ever actually happens so i don't place too much focus on that eventuality yet. Jonathan Brash may well come into the equation in 6 months time, but obviously that depends of (a) Him standing and (b) him being elected.

Owen Jones

I think we need a female leader

SRMoore

For absolute clarity I will state that I would not and do not want to be the leader of the council.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Be careful what you wish for, could end up being the Cranny.

Not to worry, the council would be in profit within 5 years.
I don't believe it.

diSme

Quote from: Owen Jones on November 26, 2018, 12: PM

What difference does gender make?

Leadership qualities are most certainly not gender-specific
I believe everything and nothing

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: diSme on November 26, 2018, 02: PM

True. Leadership skills seem pretty few and far between within HBC, so let's not minimise the pool for the sake of political correctness.

mk1

Is this the same Brash who manipulated the system to get Mandelson made a Freeman? It had to be done that way because in a free vote no one would have given it to the snake.
Brash who  used multiple IDs here to praise himself as a disinterested third party?
Brash is totally a Party politician who will, if he ever did assume command, make sure all evidence of the SCAB Cabal looting is buried  and never ever  sees the light of day.
I think your all crazy.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Choosing a 'leader' can be nothing but a game at this stage. CAB's intention to hang onto power for as long as possible becomes clearer by the day - he has too much to lose (both financially and ego-wise).

When it comes to tenacity and survival, isn't it said that cockroaches can survive a nuclear winter?  ::)

diSme

Definitely a speculatory post/poll.

I really don't see what it will achieve, other than further speculation..

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on November 26, 2018, 05: PM
Choosing a 'leader' can be nothing but a game at this stage. CAB's intention to hang onto power for as long as possible becomes clearer by the day - he has too much to lose (both financially and ego-wise).

When it comes to tenacity and survival, isn't it said that cockroaches can survive a nuclear winter?  ::)

I don't think there's any reason to compare cockroaches with CAB.  One's a disgusting nuisance that you find in tropical hotels......................the other is a cockroach! ;D

diSme

Quote from: diSme on November 26, 2018, 02: PM

Just to further qualify my post,, perhaps Gill Alexander could be used as a reasonable comparison...

mr ben

we need a leader with a  proven track record in business and knows what profit and loss and accountability is . WHAT WE DONT NEED IS A TEACHER /BUTCHER / BAKER/ CANDLE STICK MAKER .   IF HBC  NEED SOMEONE TO DO INTERVIEWS  I AM THAT MAN . IVE BEEN IN BUSINISS FOR 30YEARS  AND CAN REVEAL   A CRANK IN THE FIRST 5 MIN S ....  WHAT IVE COME TO FIND OUT OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS IS  THE MORE CERTIFICATES AND BITS OF PAPER THE COMES WITH HE OR SHE   USUALLY PANS OUT USELESS ...   

kevplumb

so the OP missed none of the above out then
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

The Great Dictator

Despite your dreadful grasp of the English language Mr. Ben i think you and others are missing the point here.

The Council Ltd. is not a profitable business, it is in fact a big loss maker and the Council leader is the public face of that establishment.

He/she is there to shoulder the blame for the Council officers and Government financiers, regardless of who is in power there will always be a shortfall in support grants for every town.

In general, businessmen/women do not make good Councillors simply because they know the limitations of fiscal disaster whereas a good Councillor looks after his flock and ignores the complications of local government finance.

You may dislike CAB because of his hairstyle, dress sense, choice of car or sexuality but he is suffering the same trials as every other leader we have had in the past that i know of.

I have run my own profitable business for 37 years and could do so with my eyes shut but after spending 5 years on every committee in the Council could never see a way of covering the escalating shortfall in cash needed.

Looking at the list of possibilities i can honestly say that any member of the local Labour Council is capable of becoming leader but none are likely to produce any better that the present one.

Jill Alexander will soon be advised by top Whitehall money bigwigs to "arrange" for a 4.9% increase in next years Council Tax bills to cover the shortfall in support grants and the leader will take the flak.

It's not what anyone wants to hear but it's written in the stars i'm afraid  :-\