Now That's Odd

Started by steveL, February 08, 2013, 12: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

"HARTLEPOOL has said "I do" to the notion of same-sex marriage after a Parliamentary vote went in favour of the move."

The introduction to The Mail article on 7th Feb

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/hartlepool-s-i-do-to-same-sex-marriage-1-5390398

Then take a glance at their own on-line poll

Go figure.....don't they look at their own polls?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

tankerville

What do you expect? It's obvious this 'Newspaper' is Now The Labour Mail. If Harry Blackwood was editor for the MAIL. I think there would be a whole new concept on this issue's and some if not a lot of sparks would certainly fly.

But everything is glossed over with carefully worded council statements, that make believe that everything in the garden is smelling of roses.

Perhaps now they should be looking at the bottom of their shoes, if they can't see it by now, they surely should surely be smelling it.

SRMoore

I'm glad the Mail reported that MPs said yes to Same Sex Marriage and not Equal Marriage because anybody reading the Bill can see that they just voted for 'the same but different' (see clause 11 in particular). Other than the state now legally calling it 'marriage' gay couples are no closer to having equal marriage than they did with civil partnerships.

Still, at least politicians can pat themselves on their backs and pretend they are down with the whole equality thing. Its good for the polls you know.

marky

I've got a poll question for them to pose:
Do you think these Mail Polls are a bag of sh**e?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

The Mail polls may be rubbish but I think they do highlight the fact that if we held referendums things would be a lot different from trusting our elected representatives to vote on our behalf. Technology should make having a referendum a much more common event.

I don't know why they don't make it, if you get married in a church (or other religious  building) then you are married, if you get partnered in a register office or pub then you are in a civil partnership ...no matter what gender you or your partner are.

One being under the eyes of God the other being under the eyes of the Tax man  :)
I don't believe it.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Mae West made an interesting observation when she said  "Marriage is a fine institution, but I'm not ready for an institution."  :-\