Full Council Meeting

Started by jeffh, February 22, 2019, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Last night's full council meeting lasted 15 minutes - even the Ceremonial Mayor, with much shrugging of shoulders, looked embarrassed.  In the past we have been told that questions from councillors, with any ensuing debate, were taking up too much time, so questions were limited to 3 minutes.  Again lack of time was cited as one of the reasons for stopping public questions from the floor.

One of the things that really disappointed me was that no Independent Councillors were challenging the labour group - they could have brought up a number of issues -

What is behind the birthing unit being re-opened at the Hospital - this could have stolen Labour's thunder
What benefits are we going to see from the approval of Durham Tees Valley Airport - we are supposed to be getting money - what will it be used for?
What are the repercussions of the fire at the Rifty - if there was no insurance why not?

I'm sure other people can add to this.  I'm not having a go at the Independents but in the current climate they are our voice.

I would have thought that those Independents who abstained on the council tax supplemental vote might have got up and told us, after CAB's monologue and before the vote, why they were going to abstain.

As long as the opposition sits in silence the worse it will get.

I know I will get criticism for this - but 15 minutes in the current climate - come on

fred c

I missed last nights meeting unfortunately, but as Jeffh mentions 15 minutes to complete a full council meeting says a lot about local democracy......I haven't heard a question from the public for almost 12 months, any questions has to be approved by the CEO, Leader and Chairman.......How democratic is that. ???

Next Wednesday is Neighbourhood Services (SAB in the chair) the perfect opportunity to put question to the committee about the circumstances that surround the operation of the Rift House community centre / Rifty Project / My Cafe.... rent, rates, utility bills, insurance, safety equipment, safety procedures..... etc etc etc

SRMoore

Hi Jeff,

Part of the problem we have is that we cannot just raise items for discussion on the night. Unless we can identify a specific item that has been discussed in a committee meeting in the month prior to the full council meeting it is difficult to speak on it.
Even if such a topic is raised often we would simply be repeating what we have already said and discussed, often at length, in the relevant committee.

As for giving the reasons for abstaining on one of the votes; I can only speak for myself but I could not bring myself to support the level of increase in the Police and Crime Commissioners precept at a time when he is making disproportionate cuts to services in this town, IMHO. In hindsight I should have made this clear last night.

AndyHagon

We need Labour out of power and the next set of elections are crucial in achieving this

Owen Jones

Who do you suggest should take over the reins of power?

SRMoore

Quote from: Owen Jones on February 24, 2019, 08: AM

Personally I would like to see the council with no one group or party with overall control. That way everyone will have no choice but to sit down and discuss things like adults before coming up with a way forward a non partisan majority can support.

kevplumb

Quote from: SRMoore on February 24, 2019, 11: AM

Personally I would like to see the council with no one group or party with overall control. That way everyone will have no choice but to sit down and discuss things like adults before coming up with a way forward a non partisan majority can support.
well said
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

mk1

See here the way  total one-party control works in Liverpool

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/23/liverpool-wavertree-labour-constituency-antisemitism-luciana-berger-derek-hatton

Given you write for this Newspaper I take it you agree with the insidious antisemitism that permeates the fabric of the Wavertree CLP?