Clampdown on Takeaways

Started by not4me, September 20, 2016, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not4me

Money goes where the demand is. If the same people  could make money out of selling more nutricious food then I'm sure they would do - more pointless gesturing.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/crackdown-on-hartlepool-takeaways-in-bid-to-tackle-obesity-1-8135122

Inspector Knacker

The idea that the publication of a policy document will make a jot of difference to the average takeaway customer is comical.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

Mary Lambert just voted chip shop of the year by Mail readers.

mk1

I guess you haven't seen Mail article featuring  The Dear Leader in his Healthwatch role trying to cut down smoking.............

jawsbbc

did you see cranny on tyne tees news they filmed him from the chest  up if they had filmed him from the waist up  we would see how bloated he is, not a very good advertising eh

Heknocks68

Johnny Bongo

If the Council are so concerned about obesity, then why do they continue to grant permission for takeaways....although having wrote that and thought about it, there doesn't seem to be many new ones...possibly due to the town already being swamped by them!  Case in point....King Oswy shops. One fish & chip shop, one pizza / kebab / etc shop/ TWO Chinese takeaways!  Why do people NEED to cook?  Anyway, regarding the Council clampdown ::)  who will be the Council Clampdown Champion? (that was Clampdown and NOT Countdown, as I reckon non of the mob can actually add up!).  I vote for Marjorie James, as she looks as if she hasn't seen a high calorie meal for years ;).

Inspector Knacker

I just don't see what the council can actually do in a free society. What other business ventures may they seek to control or approve of ?

seaton

I can't see how they can stop more opening as the applicants will just appeal and win it.
It's the way of the world we live in, basically it's a very materialistic is world every thing has to be new. It's not like the old days when people worked their way up the housing ladder, straight in for the big property, big mortgage and all the outgoings that go with it, 2 cars, Mother too tired to cook or can't so it's off to the Pizza Shop or Macdonalds.

jawsbbc

do you think its the way they are brought up?? do as  i do, i have daughters who all cook healthy wholesome foods 7 days a week  they cannot afford to  go to takeaways like they say for what it would cost for a takeaway for the family they could make 2 roast beef dinners

steveL

does anyone really see them taking on the likes of Greggs? This is a complete waist of money because it flies in the face of one of the basic principles of economics - i.e. supply and demand. If there was no demand then there would be no takeaways - cutting back on the number of takeaways won't remove the demand.

I'm afraid too many people are just too lazy to cook. That said, I don't recall them giving away free fruit at the Rift House Fun Day but fat-laiden burgers.

BTW - does the council need to employ a Healthy Living Coordinator or whatever his title was?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lord Elpus

Cllr Cranney was always having a 'pop' about too many take aways when ever an application came before the Planning Committee.

Little wonder so many Officers are wanting out of HBC, this will be a nightmare for them to enforce.

It has never failed to sadden me that the wards that have the most problems and the most poverty generally always end up with the worst, most dozy arsed Councillors, (Manor House being a classic example).

pensionater

Personally can't see anything wrong in the proposal,it may also result in less rubbish from these shops lying around.

jeffh

I wonder what was being served up at Old McCranney's farm during the summer holidays? - or did he just feed the kids with a bag of salad and trouser the rest

Inspector Knacker

Who decides which takeaways remain open and which will close in the fast food cull. What standards will apply, how will it be enforced?
The only way this can even begin to happen is when fast food customers decide it's time to try and change their 'diet'. This is trumpet blowing gesture politics.
To have certain councillors giving their view on the topic is like getting advice from an Eskimo on coping with an heatwave.