Transport

Started by testing times, November 20, 2015, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

Another  bridge across the Tees? Where exactly?
I've been trying to work this one out and I think they mean a sister bridge to the Tees Flyover.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/article_teesside%20city%20transport%20plans.htm

craig finton

I'd like to see a rail bridge over the river to Boro at Port Clarence instead of that ridiculous loop but it will never happen because Middlesbrough doesn't look North of the A66

seaton

Quote from: testing times on November 20, 2015, 07: AM

Another  bridge across the Tees? Where exactly?
I've been trying to work this one out and I think they mean a sister bridge to the Tees Flyover.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/article_teesside%20city%20transport%20plans.htm
[/qu

If some one had a bit of foresight the current flyover would never have been built, it 'flys' over nothing, nothing gets passed Newport Bridge as it can't be raised. it has actually cost more on repairs than it cost to build. Out of interest what type of shipping ever travelled that far upriver to justify a flyover ?
Yes let's have a better transport system but would people use it, if you have the misfortune to have to commute and hit the A19 in the rush hour at either Hart or  Woliviston in the morning I sympathise with then when you get on to the A19 it's nose too tail all the way to the flyover. After 5 the A19 Gomes to a virtual stand still, for some reason break downs always occur on the flyover, been there and got the T Shirt, solution, I haven't a clue !

Land Phil

I think the short answer as always and as predicted is Hartlepool will lose out.

A metro train style service linking up with the Tyne and Wear Metro in one direction and the hospitals in the other direction would have been a sure fire hit in my opinion.

I have worked in Newcastle and I would have loved such a service rather than the stress of driving and then getting the Metro.
I have done the other direction too, travel 150 miles south and spend the first half of the journey only getting past the 'boro.
What about Teesside Park, parking there is always busy and a decent station would be very attractive.
So many opportunities lost because of bad transport links. 

DRiddle

Middlesbrough's MP Andy McDonald has been actively campaigning to get Middlesbrough a direct train to London for several years. I mean ACTIVELY campaigning in so far as he can regularly be found actually in Middlesbrough train station handing out leaflets, collecting signatures and talking with commuters about it. I believe it's one of the key things he hopes to achieve in his stint as their MP. I'm told he's met with the rail companies and is on the case with regards to lobbying etc.

This is the kind of thing the local Labour Group seem to have buried their heads in the sand about. If we've got 5 heads of local councils and a 'city wide' Mayor, and the Mayor and the OTHER 4 leaders want to change the rail link to make the direct route to London from Middlesbrough..... then it'll happen.

CAB can't even think on his feet quick enough in the council chamber to fend off the volleys a few of the independent councillors fire his way.

How the hell is he going to cope when he's got 4 other council heads and potentially Ray Mallon telling him what's happening?

On a side note, as much as I don't want Hartlepool to lose it's direct rail link to London, it's good to see an MP like Andy McDonald actively on the campaign trail trying to achieve something (other than simply to get himself re-elected).

The only time I've seen Wrighty publicly trying to achieve something was when he stood on the steps of the civic with Angie Wilcox opposing the bedroom tax.

Who could forget her spitting out the words "We ain't paying a penny!".

Obviously at the time we assumed she meant paying a penny in bedroom tax.

As it turned out, she meant things like VAT, utilities, wages, rent, business rates, catalogue bills, dog food etc etc.  ::)

Inspector Knacker

Looking at the future of our town is like looking at a Ming vase in the hands of a frisky chimp.
The trouble with Teesside is the Tees itself, it actually divides the area. I can see Redcar clearly, but get to Newcastle quicker. The river is the domain of heavy industry as far as Middlesbrough and Middlesbroughs geographical location allows it to dominate the entire area as the transport hub. A crossing further down river near south bank would open up the area, but  that won't happen. The only crossing nearest to the sea is the novelty icon of the boro, the transporter.... quaint, but an utter joke, yet this geriatric excuse for a link is allowed to stagger on because it leads to nowhere and doesn't affect the master plan.
So when the vegtables realise they're nothing more than the rulers of a glorified parish council and the penny finally drops with a resounding clang, remember they led us there, because there'll be no plausible excuses.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

Quote from: Riddler5 on November 20, 2015, 06: PM
Looking at the future of our town is like looking at a Ming vase in the hands of a frisky chimp.
The trouble with Teesside is the Tees itself, it actually divides the area. I can see Redcar clearly, but get to Newcastle quicker. The river is the domain of heavy industry as far as Middlesbrough and Middlesbroughs geographical location allows it to dominate the entire area as the transport hub. A crossing further down river near south bank would open up the area, but  that won't happen. The only crossing nearest to the sea is the novelty icon of the boro, the transporter.... quaint, but an utter joke, yet this geriatric excuse for a link is allowed to stagger on because it leads to nowhere and doesn't affect the master plan.
So when the vegtables realise they're nothing more than the rulers of a glorified parish council and the penny finally drops with a resounding clang, remember they led us there, because there'll be no plausible excuses.

How much of the £3Million a year will go towards the up keep of that "Icon of the Boro"

Inspector Knacker

The 'icon' starts at 7.15 ends at 6.15 and has astonishingly a lunch break where it closes for just over an hour and carries nine cars. It was cutting edge stuff in 1911, but it's 2015 now and in all honesty was obsolete in the 1950's. So, it's nowhere near up to the job, but plods on draining money from us for little return, reminds me of something that.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.