Seacoalers in Hartlepool banned by HBC?

Started by DRiddle, October 06, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

As much as HBC helped a couple of lads gain apprenticeships' last week, it looks like they've just put 19 men on the dole.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445630/Seacoalers-Hartlepool-County-Durham-hunt-washed-coal-denied-access-beach.html#ixzz2gwTJRmbp

Quote'This is compromising public safety, defacing the promenade and causing noise nuisance which is why we have taken action to install the bollards.'

I think most people would argue that the landfill sites are more of a factor in 'defacing the promenade'.

Mr Mister

Too bad David in my view and this is why!

I have taken up cycling to get fitter, I ride along the stretch regularly where they use the motorized wheelbarrows, the mess that's left behind really is a safety hazzard, not for me, but the old that walk along there or the kids etc.

Also of of course, you have the flats there that have to put up with the mess, the noise and the drama of the 2 transits there every morning, using a motorized wheelbarrow to extract the coal.

Why should they spoil things for the people living there or out walking on after all one of the best walks we have in the town for 92,400 people to enjoy? What gives them the right?

Now if you are talking about Seaton Carew and the way they operate I agree they are being treated unfairly, they go on the beach on with little fuss or drama, do their work, make their money and remove the coal, then in my view the council should get a grip, they are providing a service (keeping the beach cleaner of coal) making an honest living and not impacting on others, so why the heavy handed tactics?

It's a pure liberty what they do down the Marina on a daily basis, the mess they make and leave behind, they need to be stopped or the council will in the end face massive claims in the fullness of time.

Just saying!

Land Phil

It really is lunacy, HBC don't like those hard grafting men that hurt nobody but it is okay for the filth from the landfill sites.
You only have to stand on the sea front and twist your head to see who the bad boys are.

I wonder which ones 'sponsor' the council regularly, provide back handers etc.

It really does stink and show how rotten HBC are.

We could do with the Romanovs kicking out the Kremlin, none of their blood would be diluted with tears.

Tzar Karl, I know you are listening - that is just a phrase not a threat.

brassed off monkey

More "Petty Dictats" from the Kremlin, if only they had adopted a Hard Line Policy on the Massive Heaps of stinking rubbish either end of the promenade the town would be a far more pleasant place to live.

I wonder how long the 3 FatBoys would last shovelling coal on the beach ? I noticed Ste ( he looks ever so handsome in his ceremonial robes ) mentioned he had pushed himself on Brighton Beach, lets see him get his big lard ar*e down The Basin & see how long he lasts. shovelling coal that is  :D

Incidentally, i wonder what the reaction of the councils full time council tax payer funded shop steward [/]makes of these lads losing their jobs, he wasn`t happy about the possible redundancies of the staff in council tax payer funded Cafes as i remember, hence the change of mind in closing them ::) ::) ::) but i suppose its a case of I`m alright Jack.... B*gg*r The Seacoalers.[/i]

The Great Dictator

DRiddle

Well, if they were, then it's up to HMRC to have a look into things and see if they need to intervene in anyway. However, I fear HMRC have bigger fish to fry across town...

Also, with regard to Mr Mister's comments, my view would be, if they need regulating, then regulate them.

Set up a licensing scheme, limit their activity to certain times, impose restrictions on what they can and cannot do and where they can do it. Help them to set up a proper legitimate enterprise if there is an issue with whether they're paying tax etc.

If there's an issue with potential liability and health and safety etc, then again, help them with the necessary insurance. Agree when and where they are allowed to collect the coal.

It's not rocket science. That would be far better than simply sticking up a few bollards to try to stop them altogether.

Even the staunchest Labour supporter must see the irony in a Labour council in the heart of the North East preventing what is essentially coal mining.

testing times

Some people think that the sea coal is little more than waste from the Durham coal fields which washes ashore but in fact it comes from a coal seam which surfaces on the sea bed a few miles off shore. people have collected it for centuries and there have been times when it proved to be a blessing to local people. Without its routine collection the coal would simply accumulate on the beaches like it does on that little bay enclosed by the breakwaters near the yacht club.

I don't know for sure if it's still the case but I do remember the council bringing in a licensing scheme for sea coalers. It can't be beyond the wit of people to find some way of regulating the operation; banning it will simply lead to black beaches and when you think of the mess the landfill wagons make you can't help but think HBC has gone for the wrong target here. Personally, I'd like to see all of the 'Sponsored By Niramax' signs at the entrances to the town taken down. 

norfolkngoode

I dont see the problem with it........ It was licensed years ago, license it again, and strictly control it. They keep the beaches clean F.F.S

TGD is right though..... No jobs lost as such, they probably are already on the dole. 
'They don't like it up em'

pensionater

You want to try living near the beach when they are driving up and down at 2 & 3 in the morning.They have also been known to drive across the greens on Hartlepool golf course to get to the beach.

fred c

There are a several families in Hartlepool who became very wealthy from "Sea Coaling" & then moved on to other things.... Pubs n Landfill

As Mr Mister says, clearing the beach isn`t to bad, but "The Basin" is where the motorised wheelbarrows are used & they do make a real mess & are a noisy nuisance, the thing about the coal in The Basin though is that it is several feet thick & follows the curve of the basin itself.

It would be a good idea to clear it all out & return the bay to what it was originally, but it should be "Licensed & Monitored", it was licensed for a long time but the quantities of coal diminished & so did the number of sea coal hawkers... maybe thats when the license thing ended ?

The mess & nuisance at the marina should be looked into by the council enviroment dept ? but as i mentioned it would be nice to return things to what they were.

mr reed

well done DRiddle you at least seem to be a fair commentator and look at all aspects when you are commenting on matters as for one comment someone made about being on the dole you replied with HMR&C should be getting involved. I totally agree with you as I have not been on the dole for the past 30 years.  people who know about  seacoaling. it has always been a feast and famine I also have a part time job of 15 hours a week to help me thought bad times on the beach, but all this does is pay my rent to HBC so I don't go into debt with them. the thanks I get in return is they stop my living on the beach.

mr reed

In answer to Mr mister comments, I pretty much agree with all you are saying concerning the marina and Seaton thanks for the comment. 

The Great Dictator

Mr.Mister, you'll be even fitter if you collect sea coal ?

You could be big and strong like SAB  :o

Mr Mister

Thanks for the comments guys.

In reply to T.G.D. I would actually enjoy one shift at seacoaling, not saying I would be good at it but, I would like to have a go on a shitty weather night, to see what it's all about, no point on a nice night is there, no experience there to be had.

I see the guys down there when I am walking the dog, chatted once or twice with them, seem like decent, hard working fella's to me.

Just the inconsiderate guys, making a mess at the Marina that's the problem, money over anything else, if I was a sea coaler I would be doing exactly the same given the chance, they get away with it, as there is no one to stop them, now that's changed it, it does seem like a sledgehammer approach to the problem, just enforce the the Marina bit and leave Seaton Beach Seacoalers alone is my view.

That way the beach is cleaner, the seacoaler know the score, they have their livelyhoods, the council have regulation, the people living at the Marina don't have the noise and mess, the tourist have a nice place in the town to walk on a sunny day :)

Seems so simple...lol.. but obviously not that simple!

Land Phil

So motorised wheelbarrows are a nuisance ? ...so what about their use in Hartlepool parks, should that be stopped to help return the peace and quiet ?

There is regularly one in Seaton park, idling away being a nuisance for example.