By-Election Video

Started by admin, October 08, 2017, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

steveL

They're definitely getting better at this
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

It certainly made decent viewing, well done HMG

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Watching the video, I think it is very easy to guess if there was an unpaid parish council who would be members,
no matter what the councillor election returned.

I also think none of the candidates are helped by their party affiliations.
It really would be good to see party politics out of local government.
Nothing new there, but the video did highlight it again for me.

I don't believe it.

steveL

I'm biased, I know but given that post, here's something lifted from the PHF web site:

It's the obvious question, isn't it? How can you be an Independent and a member of a party at the same time?

Well Putting Hartlepool First (PHF) is a group of people who think that national party politics should be kept out of local councils.

At PHF we believe that ALL councilors should be Independent – free of the influence of national parties and party whips . We want to see Councilors whose first and only allegiance is to their own ward residents and not councilors who are told how to vote by a group Leader like Christopher Akers-Belcher or a party whip.

But standing as an Independent isn't easy. You're up against the finances, sponsors and resources of the major political parties whereas standing alone as an Independent you are on your own having to deliver all of those leaflets and pay all of your own costs.

PHF is there to give Independents a more level playing field when they are up against the resources of the big parties helping to give advice on all the legal stuff, producing and delivering leaflets and also helping with the costs but it operates no party whip and PHF Councillors are free to vote as they wish according to the best interests of their residents.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

testing times

The UKIP girl was sweet but too timid

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on October 08, 2017, 11: PM

I also think none of the candidates are helped by their party affiliations.
It really would be good to see party politics out of local government.
Nothing new there, but the video did highlight it again for me.
Something I've always advocated, as well as residing in the wards they represent.
The Party members will always put the party first, chronically incapable of independent thought they just do as they're told and get a pat on the head.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

cobaltman60

Would you believe it.. Ann Marshall with the EXACT mangled accent of Cranney came up with the dreaded 'UB for Seaton Library.

Talk about reciting from a script written by her "Handlers"!

I must agree Leisa Smith came across as the most sincere and locally focused candidate.

angela

Ann Marshall sounds very arrogant as if she's entitled to be a councillor and doesn't see why she has to go through an election at all.

kevplumb

Quote from: angela on October 10, 2017, 08: AM
Ann Marshall sounds very arrogant as if she's entitled to be a councillor and doesn't see why she has to go through an election at all.
you only have to look as far as the company she keeps to know where that comes from  :o
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

fred c

Quote from: kevplumb on October 10, 2017, 09: AM
Quote from: angela on October 10, 2017, 08: AM
you only have to look as far as the company she keeps to know where that comes from  :o

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/w_700,f_auto,ar_3:2,c_fill/http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/webimage/1.4043757.1323355538!/image/3905492989.jpg

I get your drift

DRiddle

Video campaigns in local council elections. I wonder where they got that idea from  ::)