Jacksons Landing

Started by testing times, July 14, 2016, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alnwickist

I have been informed from a reliable source that there is a hotel group prepared to buy part of the site ,,on the basis that HBC are to pay to have the site cleared.

steveL

The talks with an hotel group were put forward at the Regeneration meeting but those 'talks' were described as 'embryonic' and remember that was only 3 weeks ago.

Put yourself in HBC's position. Given the criticism over this decision, any opportunity to claim that the hotel plan would progress if the council cleared the site would have been immediately seized upon at the time and the Press Release would have gone something like this:

"National Hotel Group Set to Buy Jacksons Landing Site
It's been announced that a well-known, national hotel group is to purchase the Jacksons Landing site from Hartlepool Borough Council. The deal is dependant on the council paying to clear the site first with work expected to start in xxxxx.

In a statement, the Leader of the Council Christopher Akers-Belcher said, " This is an exciting development from a major hotel group and shows the level of confidence that businesses have in the future of Hartlepool. This is the latest stage of the council Vison and Masterplan for Hartlepool."

Our understanding is that another hotel group is indeed toying with the idea of building a hotel in Hartlepool but only on the existing Jacksons Landing Car Park - the rest of the site is destined to be a concrete slab and you have to wonder how much this restriction of space will affect any future development.

The long lost Jomast plans for Trincomallee Wharf also included a 7 storey hotel overlooking the Historic Quay

At some stage, the local family hotel and B&B businesses are going to start kicking off about the loss of potential trade. Putting long-standing family businesses out of business is hardly a step forward. As I said before, Hartlepool's tourist potential is limited and most of the people staying in the town are contractors and visiting businessmen.

The council is desperate and will accept any sort of development and claim it as all being part of some well thought-out plan but there is no such thing. There is a dream and a prayer mat - that's all - and the prayer mat was supplied by one of Cranney's 'business' contacts.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notenoughsaid

All this talk of demolition and site clearance has me worried for the safety of the Sailors Memorial . I expressed my concerns sometime ago on this site when it was in danger of Council interference however I am unable to remember  what the reason was (old age!!!)  I just hope that all due respect is shown, particularly as it is placed in the area of the Navy Museum and adds to the martitime history of the town

However with the  present regime in place if money is involved "respect" will go out of the window. Time will tell.

testing times

Quote from: notenoughsaid on August 17, 2016, 01: PM

All this talk of demolition and site clearance has me worried for the safety of the Sailors Memorial . I expressed my concerns sometime ago on this site when it was in danger of Council interference however I am unable to remember  what the reason was (old age!!!)  I just hope that all due respect is shown, particularly as it is placed in the area of the Navy Museum and adds to the martitime history of the town

However with the  present regime in place if money is involved "respect" will go out of the window. Time will tell.

That's a very good point. We shouldn't have to worry about such things but with the local crowd no one can have that degree of confidence.

not4me

Well at least we now know what will be replacing Jacksons Landing - an artists impression - and another few grand on there way to some Newcastle Architects who must be pissing themselves laughing all the way to the bank.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/jacksons-landing-initial-design-plans-ready-by-november-officials-predict-1-8074552

Land Phil

Can we have unicorns on the next set of drawings.

Lord Elpus

Who knows they may even throw in a couple of 'buckshee' house extension plans in to sweeten the deal, it would not be the first time.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

If there is a company interested in buying the site, why are HBC having plans drawn up ?
Surely the interested company will want to make its own plans, not have something imposed by a local authority. How many more lies are we going to be force fed about this site?

steveL

The arrogance of President Christopher seems to have no bounds; this taken from his Facebook posts.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Alnwickist

Council Planing 10/06/2013.section of.

8 be the right house type for this site as there is an abundance of existing apartments at the marina and there are existing planning permissions for more still. •  Leisure (Use Class D2): Given the size and form, the site offers potential for a range of leisure and related uses with links to the water area of the marina. Such uses might be based on maritime activity and could  afford opportunities for activities like water sports, berthing of craft, training facilities and other similar uses. •  Office Development (B1): Purpose built office accommodation taking account of the quality waterfront location. This could form upper floors of building in a mixed use scheme. • Retail (A1):   Whilst the site is inappropriate for large scale retailing it does have great potential for speciality retailing particularly that associated with the leisure industry. • Other uses that could be incorporated into a mixed use scheme include A3 (Restaurants and Cafes), A4 (Drinking Establishments), A5(Hot food takeaways) and D1 (Non Residential Institutions)  Current Structures at Jackson Landing  3.7  A large single retail unit currently occupies most of the site and the Council would support the demolition of this unit which would provide a blank canvas for a transformational scheme. There is also an electric sub station located in front of the existing retail unit. Agreement would have to be obtained from the operator if this was proposed to be moved or removed from the site.  3.8  In the north east tip of the site is the Seaton High Light.  Built in the early 19th century, the structure, in the form of a free standing stone column, was originally located near Seaton Carew, along with a second light known as the Seaton Low Light.  These fell into disrepair and the High Light was eventually moved to its present location.  The remains of the column were restored as a memorial to those who lost their lives at sea. This structure must be retained and the setting of the heritage asset sympathetically treated in the overall design scheme. Early consultation regarding this issue should be made with the Councils conservation officer.
There are 31 grammar mistakes in the cut and paste.

notenoughsaid

Reply from NES.....Thanks Alnwickist. That was the subject that I posted on sometime ago. You prompted my memory as I have read that before. Regards.