In Denial of Reality

Started by testing times, July 23, 2014, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

Reading this Mail article,  it stands out like a sore thumb that our council just has no grip on reality whatsoever.

Take, for example, Simmons' concern for the 'stress levels and well-being' of staff. The fear of redundancy is not something I would wish on anyone but the reality is that it's something millions of people in the private sector have to cope with every day and no-one is concerning themselves too much with their 'stress levels.'

This council is now having to come to terms with the consequences of its free-for-all, buy-now-pay-later attitude to its spending. Was it not Paul Walker who said that 95% of council spending goes on salaries. The previous Labour Government's willingness to flood the public sector with money led to a proliferation of non-jobs filled by people doing things that either no one wanted or produced no measurable benefit to the public.

It's reality check time and the chickens are coming home to roost.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/warning-over-service-cuts-1-6743663

mk1

Quote from: testing times on July 23, 2014, 04: PM

Take, for example, Simmons' concern for the 'stress levels and well-being' of staff....................

I suspect scapegoats are being lined up for when the next set of sickness figures come out. They will need someone to blame when the  number of days off have gone back up!

PostItNote

If they followed their disciplinary procedures, they would have no need for redundancy or retirement packages.  We would save a fortune as corrupt staff would be outed legally for a change.

Is Simmons concerned about that?

You are right Testing Times though I would say we are still wasting lots of money on jobs that do not need doing (consultants doing things like assessing Blue Badge applications, wonder how much we pay for each one of them?)

Also with the wrong people in the right jobs, how can we really get value for money.

The biggest obstacle is the Practicing what we preach culture would many that the Councillors would also be swept out with the new broom too. 

Saying that, it means it needs doing but just don't expect the likes of Simmons to do so, promote or support it.  I think you know that though I just wanted to highlight it for anyone who has not twigged yet!