Church Street debacle

Started by grim reaper, July 24, 2018, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Is Church Street going to be renamed Akers-Belcher Boulevard?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: fred c on July 25, 2018, 02: PM
WTF In hell we would this lot do with a wrecked pub, spend a fortune on refurbishing it so they can justify the Church Street Vision....?
I could easily believe it. It could be the Church St 'Ub'.😱
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Apparently they have bought it!😳
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

kevplumb

wonder where the money came from ???
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

mk1

I can;t understand the fuss over this building. Even in the 70s when I used to go down Church Street this pub was considered a 'dive'. Indeed most of the area was like that. The Alma and Devon were full of prostitutes and blokes  waiting to glass anyone who 'looked at our lass'. The block that has this pub is falling to bits. The far end has been knocked down and a modern building that jars with it constructed and now an even more modern building built  behind that. When exactly was this 'golden age' everyone is harking back to?

mk1

WhatTheHeck

Yep, just been confirmed by CAB, purchased with support of 300k from TVCA. No mention of the full purchase price.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

kevplumb

shouldn't it have been discussed in a full council meeting ??

and voted on (not that that matters)
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!

mk1

Another victory for the Wilkinsons.  I expect the Odeon will be another example of them taking the council to the cleaners.

Johnny Bongo

Maybe Cranney will be running it...cos he has lots of successful business experience ::) and SAB will be doing the food!  They'll be changing the name of the place to Shady's!

jeffh

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on July 26, 2018, 05: PM
Maybe Cranney will be running it...cos he has lots of successful business experience ::) and SAB will be doing the food!  They'll be changing the name of the place to Shady's!
[/quote

It wouldn't surprise me if we, the taxpayers, funded the restoration for some numbskull to manage it making a big loss - it will then be sold to some "Entrepreneur" for a pittance who will magically turn it round - could it be someone planning for the future????

Lord Elpus

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on July 26, 2018, 05: PM

Funny enough Cranny has past form regarding running pubs, in the 1990's he was involved in a community take over of the Lion Hotel, Lancaster Road. 

I knew someone involved and my understanding was people quickly started to doubt a community leaders intentions.

It all ended in tears when a fire reducing the building to a shell.

If he'd only had 5 years to turn it round and enough grant support.

kevplumb

I used to drink in there when I was home

now calling the shades a dive is one thing, it pales into insignificance compared to the lion
;D

mk1

I see Terry had to let people know he had some experience managing pubs  when his opinion was challenged........

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HistoryOfHartlepoolInImages/permalink/1704539969644198/?comment_id=1704700542961474&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

I have seen plenty of 'fights' in Church Street and even remember a death in the Devon.

fred c

If Terry Hammond isn't qualified to give an opinion on Church Streets boozing and fighting establishments........no one is.

Once again we see nofuckalls talking complete b****x, The Devon, Alma and Shades were only to be entered mob handed....