Democracy Through the Looking Glass

Started by steveL, October 18, 2016, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Anyone intending to go to next week's council meeting will find themselves separated from Councillors by a newly erected perspex screen placed between the plebs in the public seats and the great decision makers.

Apparently, all Councillors have been informed of this - well all coalition Councillors, that is. Opposition Councillors have yet to be told and will be finding it out on here, probably.

It's all hush hush, you see - so don't tell anyone.  ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

You really can't fathom out what goes through the minds of the those that come up with these ideas, the next thing you know they will be screwing the chairs down & beefing up the security in case somone or other Guffaws at the bollox that are dropped on a regular basis by the usual suspects.

Land Phil

Would have been cheaper and more effective to put Cranny in a cage.

Inspector Knacker

Maybe the screens are there to protect the public. Can we make them airtight so the virus of Magic Roundabout politics aren't freely transmitted.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Foggy

I am hoping this is some sort of joke... But as it isn't April I fear it's not.

Who the hell do these people think they are???  >:(

fred c

When you look at how some members of labour group have behaved during full council meetings, maybe the screen has been erected at the request of members of the public.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: fred c on October 19, 2016, 09: AM
When you look at how some members of labour group have behaved during full council meetings, maybe the screen has been erected at the request of members of the public.

Could it be inspired by the recent gorilla break out at London Zoo? ;)

jeffh

Maybe it's to keep the sheep in also strongly suspect that this could be the first ploy in denying public access to council meetings.
Think about it - when they deny us access they can cite the need for a protective from the public as being a factor in the process of denying the public access - sneeky

pensionater

Maybe it's to do with the rise of the Right wing Councillors.After all we know that Kippers are partial to a punch up. ;D

fred c

On past experiences, members of the public are more likely to be attacked by councilors, than the other way round......

Who could forget Lying Ste Akers B cancelling his Mayoral Parade from the civic to St Georges because of the threat of a public protest, as it happened, despite the presence of a Labour heavy & several police officers........ 3 men & dog felt very chuffed with themselves as a result of their actions.

Foggy

I'd forgot about that little episode Fred.  The word overreaction doesn't begin to cover it.  I don't know what the hell he thought was going to happen to him.

This perspex screen business is taking things waaaaaay too far in my opinion.  It is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time.. so much so that I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes!  Someone in the Kremlin needs to get some perspective.... not bloody perspex!!!

mk1

How will effect the already bad sound quality on Council films?

Land Phil

next stop will be a pope mobile.

Sound could be an issue and the experience will e like being at the zoo.

Take some bananas next week ?

Foggy

Just having a little chuckle to myself remembering the 'alleged' stab vest at the town hall meeting!  ;D ;D ;D

steveL

Bit of an update:

This reminds me a bit of Jacksons Landing in that the meeting takes place after the decision has already been made.

Taken from the Front page

Secret plans to segregate the public during council meetings have run into trouble after they were revealed by the Hartlepool Post.

The plan calls for the erection of a perspex screen between the public seating area and the rest of the council chamber 'for security reasons' and comes ahead of a seminar on councillor security to be held next week.

The Council administration is now denying that such plans exist but a reliable source has told us that the plans have been known about within the administration for two weeks and that the original intention was to have the screen in place in time for next week's full council meeting on October 27th.

Since 2013, when the council returned to a Committee System of governance, there have been a series of changes to the constitution introduced which have restricted public involvement during council meetings.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.