Crime Figures

Started by steveL, July 11, 2012, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Why is it that when I see figures like these my brain always takes them with a pinch of salt? Perhaps it's partly because of the effort that Cleveland Police put into PR these days. The Police Helicopter is an obvious example which appears to have its own PR Team dedicated to telling us all about the great difference that it makes. It might well do but the over-spin makes me suspicious.

I agree with the statement made by this council employee: Denise Ogden, the council's assistant director (neighbourhood services), added: "It's a small minority of people in the town who are responsible for the majority of criminal acts and the council is working very closely with the police and other key organisations to address this issue."

What I would like to see is crimes listed which have drugs as the root motivation whether they are burglaries or shoplifting. I don't think people realise just how large is the drug problem in this town.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

oh, I see what you mean ;D ;D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

do you mean this, Steve?
http://www.cleveland.police.uk/news/helicopter-watch.aspx
This is the latest addition: "Requested to search for a man wanted by officers having made off. Area searched as directed and subject located hiding in a bin by the aircraft crew. Officers directed to the location, man arrested, units resumed patrols"
Sounds impressive enough till you realise that this single incident probably cost thousands of pounds and will probably result in a caution or a few hours community service.