Councillor or MP?

Started by not4me, April 12, 2015, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crisstw

Quote from: Balotelli on April 14, 2015, 11: AM
I see your point, but given the context of the entire conversation and the fact that Michelle's 'advice' was not something that would even work it's clear to all who were involved in that conversation that she was joking.

That may be the case, but not everyone on the internet is Tech Savvy , so might think it's possible & that she's condoning it ;)

DRiddle

QuoteI see your point, but given the context of the entire conversation and the fact that Michelle's 'advice' was not something that would even work it's clear to all who were involved in that conversation that she was joking.

I suspect somebody fancied making trouble for her campaign and saw a chance.

I've known Shel for a long time and regard her as not only a capable candidate, but someone who would wipe the floor with most current councillors in debate.

It doesn't matter if she's Barack Obama, she won't get in on a Green ticket in Manor House. In fact, I'll be surprised if she gets 50+ votes.

steveL

oh I think we can definitely say that she wouldn't get in in Manor House if she was Barack Obama
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

beanzontoast

It is most exellent for so many to have an interest in politics, in an attemot not to give Labour an easy ride, I wish to thank you all for your Stirling effort, from whichever party you support, my only observation is why do so many wish to be part of local issue groups.

crisstw

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 14, 2015, 03: PM
It is most exellent for so many to have an interest in politics, in an attemot not to give Labour an easy ride, I wish to thank you all for your Stirling effort, from whichever party you support, my only observation is why do so many wish to be part of local issue groups.

If the people we voted for to represent us, actually represented us & tried to make Hartlepool a better place for all of us, then I doubt there would be as many people or as many parties trying to make a change ;)

steveL

Because local issues matter and getting yourself elected as a councillor on the back of issues which can only be resolved nationally is a waste of a council seat.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

Quote'PHF as ineffective as UKIP in the chamber'?  :o  :o
What a load of bollox.
Have you ever been to a meeting in the chamber?
Have you ever watched any of the videos posted on here?

David Riddle has set the place ON FIRE!
He has attacked with a vengeance the muppets and 'yes men' in that chamber.
He has given the fat boy palpitations with his barbed attacks on him and his style of 'leadership'.
He has thrown down the gauntlet to those opposite him in the chamber (remember his oratory on the people that have served with honour, 'those opposite have served with DISHONOUR'). Or words to that effect. 

He succumb to a 'gavel attack' from the fat boy and had to (begrudgingly) retract a statement.

David Riddle has been the catalyst that has shown the general public just what a shower of lying, fiddling 'ner do wells' sit opposite him (alongside their 3 compatriots along the table from him).

Ineffective? I wish the chamber was as full of people with the scruples and welfare of this town as D. Riddle has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc

Foggy

Quote from: steveL on April 14, 2015, 04: PM
Because local issues matter and getting yourself elected as a councillor on the back of issues which can only be resolved nationally is a waste of a council seat.

I totally agree with the quote in bold above.  The point of being a councillor is to represent local people on local issues.  Although, I'm not sure if beanzontoast is referring to the general election and/or the local elections in his comment above. It is not clear.

I personally feel that at this point in time the local elections are far more important than the general election.  It is crucial that the right people for the town are elected to the council before the LabCons do anymore damage.  However, unfortunately there is going to be a serious problem with vote splitting in a few wards.  I am not wishing to name names but I feel if some candidates had the best interests of the town at heart they would have decided not to stand on this occasion for the good of the town.  It wouldn't have hurt to wait a year for another opportunity.

Anyway, going back to the original topic of this thread I would be very surprised if Philip Broughton was elected in either capacity in May. By standing in both the general and local elections he has weakened his chances of both.  I would be interested to know who came up with that little plan.... doh :o

DRiddle

I agree with a lot of what foggy said. The frustrating thing is there is still a mind set amongst the national parties that you need the 'logo' on both the GE ballot slip and all the 11 local ones.

This (without going into too much detail) has, I suspect, been the 'deal breaker' in terms of any cross party negotiation.

Both UKIP and the Greens (I would suspect) are adamant they need their logos on all 11 wards to help their GE candidates overall vote.

I don't see it that way. Take Mr Picton as an example. He could pull anywhere between 2,000-7,000 in my view in the GE. Presumably those 2,000-7,000 people will also vote in the local elections. Their votes obviously can't go to Mr Picton's party... because he doesn't have one. But those votes are going to go SOMEWHERE.

By the same logic UKIP, the Greens and others should have trusted the electorate to make a choice at national level and potentially another choice at local level.

When the Conservatives got 10,000+ votes in the previous general election there's no way they could have got the same or even anywhere near that kind of number at local level.

People can and do distinguish between the two.

It's a shame that UKIP and others didn't realise that. If they HAD, the chances of Labour losing more seats on the 7th would be a lot higher.

Foggy

It is a shame that some sort of agreement couldn't be reached but I guess that was impossible when some parties have their own agenda.

I find it disappointing (that's putting it politely) that the Tories seem to field a number of candidates in local elections who it appears have no desire to be, or intention of being, a Councillor (I think we probably know who we are talking about). They are just there to put that Tory logo on the ballot paper and/or take votes away from others.  In last year's local elections, Andrew Martin-Wells stood for the Tories in Foggy Furze and gained 208 votes.  I did not receive a single leaflet from him or any form of communication to demonstrate the fact that he wanted to represent the residents in the council chamber.  I feel that fielding candidates to 'make up the numbers' or for other unscrupulous reasons is just taking the p*** out of the electorate. That's why I can't understand why these people get so many votes.

I realise this is something which has gone on for years but it doesn't make it right.

beanzontoast

While I take everyone's point on local issues they are indeed important and very much  my foremost concern, it is however incumbent on all political parties to contest as many seats as possible at a local level,  and many policies at a national level have an impact at local level, examples would be the bedroom tax, UKIP want it abolished, hospital car parking, abolished, business rates reduced, this list is not exhaustive  and there are many local issues  , UKIP would not have allowed the Mayor to remain in post, we would not allow the 3 Torys to fool their electorate, we would make sure a referendum on the merger with teesside, none of this would be possible if  labour continue to control the council after May 7th,  and whether you agree or not if it wasn't for the rise of UKIP Cameron would not have been pushed into giving a referendum on the EU.