Inflation Drops but Prices Go Up

Started by testing times, June 19, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

The news is telling me that inflation has dropped to its lowest level for 2 years. I'm just hoping that someone tells the Supermarkets because both me and the good lady have been noticing for a good while just how expensive food has become. The other thing we have noticed is that when prices do rise, it's not just by the odd penny or two but that prices seem to go up in large chunks - 50p or more sometimes. And then there's Gas and Electricity of course....I'd better stop before my blood pressure goes off the scale.

not4me

at the risk of sounding like an old woman, it's the process of cheese and eggs which urks me - how do people with young kids manage to buy even the basics? I haven't had a 'country supper' for ages.......

marky

Perhaps this refers to a different inflation index which inludes school fees, bottles of Chardonnay, stable fees and, as you mention, country suppers.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: marky on June 19, 2012, 06: PM
Perhaps this refers to a different inflation index which inludes school fees, bottles of Chardonnay, stable fees and, as you mention, country suppers.

Reminds me of someone I once worked with back in the days of yore...in her teens she had been a mother's help for members of London's 'chattering classes'. This experience seemed to have encouraged what kinder souls would call 'delusions of grandeur' (the less charitable reckoned her to be a total snob).  For some reason this interlude inspired her and her poor, bemused young husband to loudly proclaim their status as newlyweds with a series of formal dinner parties, to which condescending invitations were issued to lesser mortals...no 'pop round for a meal' like the rest of us say...Mind you, she did reckon that (in the true style of a Catherine Cookson novel) she was forced to defend her virtue from the wicked master of the household... ::)