H&M Retail Parks v Middleton Grange

Started by DRiddle, July 29, 2014, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaton

Quote from: steveL on August 01, 2014, 02: PM
That's the old Netto place that they took over. I think the one I'm talking about at B&Q is an extra one that is yet to be opened.

It's the old Kwik Save store, they went into liquidation a few years ago, also had shop which is now Tesco Extra next to the library

fred c

We, my wife & I have noticed that over the last few weeks Teesbay has greatly increased in popularity for lots of people, Saturday in particular was noticeably busier than we have ever seen it.

It will prove to be even more popular when the new Home Bargains store opens in the near future, the free parking is obviously one of the reasons for the increased footfall, will this prompt any reaction on town centre parking charges ??..... I very much doubt it, I can see a time in the not to distant future when Middleton Grange will be an empty shell.

DRiddle

H and M on the way too I'm told... going in the old comet unit I think, or was it the sports shop? I forget, one of the two.

Must be the vision...

SRMoore

David, do you mean the empty Comet on Anchor Retail park next door to Next? That would make more sense than H&M opening at Teesbay Retail Park and tie in with M&S moving into the old JJB.

I said a long time ago that Jacksons Landing failed because there wasn't anything else nearby at the time (shopping wise). I'm minded to think it would now be more visionary for HBC to refurbish it and encourage more shopping outlets to take up a place there rather than in the failing Middleton Grange, freeing up a prime town centre location for housing our whatever instead of more of the same dreary brick flats that plague the marina currently.

DRiddle

Hi Shane, yes sorry I meant the anchor retail park. H and M are going in the old comet. That's what I've been told although The Mail haven't ran that story yet. They probably will ......after they read this.

I agree Jacksons landing and 'housing' is a toxic mix that won't help anyone significantly in Hartlepool.

one direction

I must be a sad person, I don't even know who H and M are? Google came up with Hennes & Mauritz? Is that who you are talking about? Sounds like they will fit in well in Hartlepool as Wikipedia says H & M aim to pay all textile workers "living wage" by 2018. Have they asked MRA to advise them on their move to Hartlepool?

steveL

H&M are one of the reasons teenagers and younger adults prefer to go somewhere other than Hartlepool to do their shopping. So whichever way you look at it this is good news for the town. They need to get an Outfit Store now.

Not such good news for Middleton Grange though which has clearly been side-line by the store. It really is time that HBC faced reality and scrapped the parking charges in Middleton Grange. It's not just down to the parking charges, of course, but we're fast approaching the time when everything possible has to be done to avoid MG becoming a deserted white elephant. ARGOS and BOOTS are not going to be in MG for much longer; it's easier (and cheaper) to use the Marina ARGOS and the Middleton Grange branch of BOOTS is virtually empty most days of the week.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

pensionater

If the shopping center is privately owned then it should be upto the owners to negotiate with the Council regards parking charges.Maybe they have other ideas for it and happy to see it fail.

seaton

I don't think the Hartlepool stores get sent the latest stock, for me usually end of line stuff. The sales in Next are all stuff brought from other stores and none of the stuff in store is in the sale usually.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: pensionater on August 18, 2014, 04: PM
If the shopping center is privately owned then it should be upto the owners to negotiate with the Council regards parking charges.Maybe they have other ideas for it and happy to see it fail.
Who would purchase a shopping centre without control of the parking....? The council are effectively charging a levy on car users over which the shopping centre owners have no control.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Tommy

Found this whilst surfing the www this morning:

http://www.eastgateshoppingcentre.com/radio-station.aspx

Middleton Grange should go one step further and invite the dwindling news paper in to the center and give them an office in the Indoor Market for all the staff located in town, just think of the publicity! ok I may be being a bit optimistic with this one.