Putting Hartlepool First 'Ferris wheel' advert in The Hartlepool Mail today

Started by DRiddle, March 28, 2014, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRMoore

Quote from: DRiddle on March 30, 2014, 07: PM

If we manage the prod the comatosed electorate in Hartlepool into life, even just a percentage of them, then we'll have achieved far more than many in political circles in decades in this town.

I believe you have achieved what you set out to do David but I'm afraid the reaction may not have been the one you were hoping for.

In the two days since the ferris wheel advert was in the Hartlepool Mail the Local Conservative Association has had over a dozen new and lapsed members [re]join and, including those from existing members have donated a considerable amount towards our election campaigns. All stating the advert as the catalyst for doing so.

That and the reaction we are getting from people on the doorstep about negative campaigning and the Facebook goings on tell us that people want us to focus on the issues that effect them day in and day out, rather than having a public p*ss*ng contest. And that is just the response the Conservatives are getting nevermind Labour, UKIP, Lib Dems and actual Independents are getting.

Don't get me wrong I applaud you for trying to engage more people in local politics, it is something we both share a passion for doing. I think the lesson here though is that if you are going to prod a sleeping beast you need to choose your weapon wisely and know what type of beast you are about to wake up.

Jamescampbell78

David,

I don't think anybody is asking you to educate them.

You have posted a statement that only tells part of a story. People are just asking for the facts behind your statement.

DRiddle

Shane, I hope that the advert has woken up a bunch of sleeping tories. I genuinely hope the advert has woken up large sections of the 70% of the towns voting public who previously hadn't bothered to vote at all. That was the point. If other parties benefit for us evoking that feeling in people then so be it.

Let's face it, if the Conservatives had done what they're supposed to do and actually ACTED AS AN OPOSITION, there wouldn't even have been a need to create PHF in the first place.

Regarding the money you've had in donations to fund your parties campaign, will that be spent on actually trying to win seats? or will it be spent on circulating leaflets telling lies about Putting Hartlepool First like last time?

mk1

Quote from: SRMoore on March 30, 2014, 09: PM

In the two days since the ferris wheel advert was in the Hartlepool Mail the Local Conservative Association has had over a dozen new and lapsed members [re]join and, including those from existing members have donated a considerable amount towards our election campaigns. All stating the advert as the catalyst for doing so............................

The sit back and  use the fallout to your advatage. If it were me the last thing I would do was broadcast my advantage and so run the risk of changing the behaviour that ended up  favouring me.

Why should we believe anything from a party that has sold itself lock stock and barrel to the SCABs in return for a straglehold on Planning Applicationds?

mk1

Quote from: Pwilson on March 30, 2014, 07: PM
Just because the big boys do it doesn't make it what people want.

A general point and in no way related to the shrill hysterical overeaction of partisan posters posing as  undecided voters.

Negative Campaigning is an effective  recognised tactic. All studies have shown it works. Politicians of any colour who ignore it or try to wish it away will suffer for the arrogance.
You simply can not afford to  ignore it and  believing you can garner support because you take the high ground and discard the tactic is the path to suicide.

We live in the real world not the world we would like it to be.

HarryBlackwood

Quote from: Pwilson on March 30, 2014, 09: PM
Oh do forgive me for taking up your precious time with discussion and debate.

You're certainly good at ducking questions or trying to patronise those who you feel are not worthy of your adulation. Maybe devote some precious time into having a bit less contempt for the very people you're trying to gain support from instead of using weak arguments.

Perfect. PWilson I want to join your fan club.

You've got Riddle perfectly.

HarryBlackwood

I love the from Riddle: I'm not really bothered whether you change your opinion or not. We live in a democracy (of sorts), you're entitled to hold whatever opinion you want. As am I.

Really. So why have you banned people from the PHF FB page for having an opinion you didn't like?

You banned me because you didn't like the 100% accurate and balanced blog I wrote.

You delete comments instantly when they are critical of you or challenge you on a way you can't handle.

Total hypocrite. Perfect politician.

DRiddle

Just regarding comments made by Shane and Kipperdip, as I've said, at this stage, late March, it's fairly clear PHF are engaged in elements of a negative campaign. I imagine when the some local tories saw the ferris wheel add and read it, they probably though it was an advert by them... until they read the bottom right hand corner and saw the PHF logo.

I don't doubt for a second our advert and the campaign in general will galvanise some tories, it'll probably help UKIP to get their troops out too. So in that respect that can only be good for all of Labour's opponents.

People forget, PHF aren't even necessarily looking to take control of the council directly. We're mainly looking to remove some of the control Labour have and ensure a more balanced chamber. That can only be good for all the politically motivated people in Hartlepool.

Also, as i've said, IF the campaign from PHF backfires, what exactly have we lost? The worst that can happen is Labour countinue to rule as they have done for 60 years. Anything other than that (even a few seats chipped away at) is a step forward.

Persoanlly, if I was a tory or a UKIP supporter in Hartlepool i'd be asking 'When is our campaign starting?' rather than becoming fixiated with ours.

HarryBlackwood

More bluff and bluster from Riddle. But he ignores a the stuff that exposes him for what he is.