Putting Hartlepool First 'Ferris wheel' advert in The Hartlepool Mail today

Started by DRiddle, March 28, 2014, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

If 'experience' was so vital we'd never have any change at sll....... the 'sitting tenants' would be there for life.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: HarryBlackwood on March 30, 2014, 09: AM
As predicted. Usual abuse. No reference to any of the genuine points I've raised.
If you classify that as 'abuse'.....you must have lead a very sheltered life..... but you were a journo so we can discount that..!!

Jamescampbell78

Not necessarily,

You could gain some of the relevant experience from the workplace rather than a political background.

Actually one of the things that's ruined our system are careers politicians who have no life or work experience outside of the political arena.

I also think Harry was referring to basing a judgement on the previous experience of changing useless for useless.

HarryBlackwood

DRiddle

Hi Mr Kipperdip sir, good to have you back. I'd heard on the political jungle drums you haven't been too well. I hope you're better sir, and I mean that with genuine sincerity.

It's actually good to have you back for a number of reasons, firstly at least when you posted regularly we engaged in some genuine political debate. Granted, our politics is largely polarised and we hold juxtaposed views, but at least we had actual debate.

You were, and now you're back hopefully still are, a meaningful political 'rival' who can actually mix it in a political debate. I've actually missed you (genuinely), there's largely been no one who can touch me on here in terms of a proper meaningful debate. Especially lately. So hopefully now you're back we can have some good ones.

Anyway, in terms of the PHF Ferris Wheel advert, you're clearly right in that that particular advert featured no PHF policies. It very much was a 'better us than them' type advert.

You're old enough to know that's not a new tactic though. Remember the old 'Labour isn't working' poster, or the 'vote for Maggie for your children's sake', or the 'will the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights'. There are literally hundreds of examples of such negative copywriting I could draw on.

Many by Saatchi and Saatchi and others among the cream of the countries advertising executives.

Given that when all the major parties called in the 'ad-men' (or women) to give their campaigns a shot in the arm, they tend to go negative, I don't think pointing out that PHF have gone down the same track is too much of a surprise. 

Pwilson

Quote from: DRiddle on March 30, 2014, 07: PM

You're old enough to know that's not a new tactic though. Remember the old 'Labour isn't working' poster, or the 'vote for Maggie for your children's sake', or the 'will the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights'. There are literally hundreds of examples of such negative copywriting I could draw on.

Many by Saatchi and Saatchi and others among the cream of the countries advertising executives.

Given that when all the major parties called in the 'ad-men' (or women) to give their campaigns a shot in the arm, they tend to go negative, I don't think pointing out that PHF have gone down the same track is too much of a surprise.

Just because the big boys do it doesn't make it what people want.

The biggest issue is that not enough people vote, one of the reasons for that is the playground level of campaigning, if you want to take the moral high ground and galvanise people behind your move to oust Labour why not react to some of the feedback by ditching the petty sniping style of campaign management and actually try a positive campaign that doesn't promise anything more than an honest & transparent approach?

We've got a party in charge who have been accused of some unsavoury things and have made some stupid decisions. But as credible alternatives go a party whose main campaign tactics seem to be reminding social media users the Gays are in charge or telling us how bad Labour are doesn't really cut the mustard. 

DRiddle

Quotethe Gays are in charge

Never once, has anyone from PHF said anything to that effect. I've made you aware of my work WITH HartGables the LGBT group and anyone who knows me either in a professional or personal capacity knows that there will NEVER, EVER be involved in a campaign to that effect.

I fully accept we've said "Look how bad (local) Labour are". I stand by that view 100%, one only needs to look at the state of the town, and the last year or so under Akers-Belchers tenure for evidence of that.

The PHF campaign has only just started, and this year it's started early, is funded, and organised.

If we fail, we'll have done no worse than every other political group in Hartlepool for the last 60 years. All of whom have failed.

If we manage the prod the comatosed electorate in Hartlepool into life, even just a percentage of them, then we'll have achieved far more than many in political circles in decades in this town. 

Inspector Knacker

Pwilson

Your quote took my words out of context, well done.

I used 'appears' which is my way of pointing out that an interpretation of the message from PHF to those who aren't as articulate or good at reading for comprehension as the majority on here are.

I also didn't accuse David Riddle of Homophobia or any other discrimantory views because I'm bright enough to know that such views are at odds with your chosen profession.

I made a statement based on what I see from a PHF campaign which even included a suggestion of how I would approach a campaign to engage the non voting electorate. I just find it offensive when your response seeks to make it look like I've made an accusation that anyone who reads my post can see is not as you made it look.

DRiddle

Quotea party whose main campaign tactics seem to be reminding social media users the Gays are in charge

So how else would you suggest I interpret that statement quoted above?

What exactly was it you were trying to imply, if not the way I inferred it?

HarryBlackwood

PWilson. That's what he does. Sneaky, shifty, avoids answering questions. Perfect politician in many ways.

Pwilson

Quote from: DRiddle on March 30, 2014, 08: PM
Quotea party whose main campaign tactics seem to be reminding social media users the Gays are in charge

So how else would you suggest I interpret that statement quoted above?

What exactly was it you were trying to imply, if not the way I inferred it?

What I was implying is that to a lay person your campaign methods are weak and that the use of a LGBT support group V a food bank as a way of showing how bad the other lot are is extremely low.

If you want me to change my opinion give me the full criteria that the grants were scored by and identify the panel who did the scoring, also tell me what the two groups would have done with their money and whether either CAB or SAB had any involvement in the assessment process where they neglected to declare any interest.

Otherwise change the record its beginning to sound broken.

DRiddle

QuoteIf you want me to change my opinion give me the full criteria that the grants were scored by and identify the panel who did the scoring, also tell me what the two groups would have done with their money and whether either CAB or SAB had any involvement in the assessment process where they neglected to declare any interest.

Sorry, my job isn't to inform and educate you on the specifics of how local government decisions are arrived at. I'm not really bothered whether you change your opinion or not. We live in a democracy (of sorts), you're entitled to hold whatever opinion you want. As am I.

Read the minutes, go to the meetings, talk to people who sit on the committee. I know I work in education, but please don't reply on me to educate you on all aspects of life. I'm too busy to do that.

Pwilson

Oh do forgive me for taking up your precious time with discussion and debate.

You're certainly good at ducking questions or trying to patronise those who you feel are not worthy of your adulation. Maybe devote some precious time into having a bit less contempt for the very people you're trying to gain support from instead of using weak arguments.