Community Work/Block Sands

Started by testing times, December 14, 2013, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

I'm glad to see the Post highlighting the damage to the Headland on it's main page but it set me wondering about what those on 'community service' actually do with their time. You often see people being sentenced to do so many hours 'community work' and the pictures show that a lot of the 'damage' is actually just debris washed onto areas where it shouldn't be - rocks, sadn and seaweed. Surely this is something useful that these people could be doing while the more serious repair work is carried out by experts. 

mk1

It all depends on who you know in the system. 'Some' deserving causes are better plugged in and (in the past) one private Landlord even managed to get his block of flats painted despite this sort of activity being banned.

seaton

Quote from: testing times on December 14, 2013, 01: PM
I'm glad to see the Post highlighting the damage to the Headland on it's main page but it set me wondering about what those on 'community service' actually do with their time. You often see people being sentenced to do so many hours 'community work' and the pictures show that a lot of the 'damage' is actually just debris washed onto areas where it shouldn't be - rocks, sadn and seaweed. Surely this is something useful that these people could be doing while the more serious repair work is carried out by experts.

Wow you dont expect all the Burglars etc to do manual work, for a start you would never get them out of bed, Personal Protective Equipment to be provided, Public Liability Insurance then there is the Health and Safety issues and once you have sorted all this out once they get there, you need to provide transport, you have to make them work !! Stop there Benefits , well they just go out `thieving`again.

testing times

I think what I am saying is that although I read all the time of people sentenced to do x hours of 'community work' I never see anyone doing anything. That doesn't mean that  I don't believe they are doing anything, it's just that you would expect the work to be more visible.

I was in Glasgow recently and I saw a group of people with 'Community Pay Back' on the back of their boiler suits clearing litter from flower beds etc. I think there should be a list of what work has been completed using people who have received community sentences.

pensionater

You see them in the summer clearing the weeds and long grass from the path next to Seaton Golf Club.

seaton

Quote from: testing times on December 14, 2013, 05: PM
I think what I am saying is that although I read all the time of people sentenced to do x hours of 'community work' I never see anyone doing anything. That doesn't mean that  I don't believe they are doing anything, it's just that you would expect the work to be more visible.

I was in Glasgow recently and I saw a group of people with 'Community Pay Back' on the back of their boiler suits clearing litter from flower beds etc. I think there should be a list of what work has been completed using people who have received community sentences.

You seem to forget this Hartlepool not Glasgow,people I have known in the past  on Community Service work in Charity Shops for their Community Service.
Who makes the decision what you have to do for your Community Service, the dentist who was involved in a fatal accident was recently sentenced to x amount of Community Service, would you expect to do manual work ?

mk1

Generally it is the women who get put in charity shops or a bloke if he is considered 'vulnerable' The Dentist for sure will just end up doing manual work.
Community Service is all about showing the general public that 'criminals' are getting punished. As such it is geared to putting the people 'on show'  in   orange vest.  The  usefulness of the work comes a long way behind. In short the desire to be seen punishing is the main target. It really is that silly.
The  very well used gay meeting place (Greatham Lay-by) has been cleaned up by them several times (cut all the shrubbery back so they can't perform in there) and the amount of used condoms and 'safe Gay Sex. packs' pinned to the trees  is unbelievable

tankerville

These guys & gals spent a considerable time in the North Cemetery Hart Lane cutting down the grass plots I went and thanked them for the work done.

Unlike H.B.C. workmen who trimmed down one plot then left.

I have seen the transport 'White Mini Bus' they use parked on the Fairground site at Seaton but now that's closed to all traffic because of ongoing sea defence work.

There is still plenty of work to be done by the Community Team in the old cemetery.

But then who is it that decides to do what & where?

testing times

Well getting back to where I came in, I would still say the Block Sands situation is an obvious piece of work for their efforts.

Mr Mister

I guess in the old days, more community spirit was available!

Back then the local would have been out there, the young & old alike blar blar blar.

I wonder what they did before H.B.C. was there to moan about?

Nic

You'd have to go back before 1201 for there to be no HBC - and they still haven't got it right.