What We Didn't Want for Christmas

Started by testing times, November 23, 2013, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

I don't know about everyone else but a derelict shed, £1.5m of debt and additional costs for security and maintenance weren't on my list.

Cllr Wells 'understands; that there are developers lining up to make HBC a profit of this venture. My question would be why he didn't just put those developers in touch with Schroder directly and leave Calamity Chris and HBC out of it.

Ever had the feeling that we're not being told quite everything about this deal?

tankerville

H.B.C. Gave away three town centre buildings with a large car park for less momey than they paid for a shed on the Marina. Reason given at the time they were put on the market but no interested buyer came forward.

College of further information stepped in and purchased Municipal Buildings for a paltry sum and then charged H.B.C. rent. Leadbitter & Archives sold £500.000 for the two.

If these building were demolished 'Thank God they were not' the land alone would have been worth Millions the excuse was at the time no buyer had come forward so they were sold at less than the market value.

Refurbishing a shed on the Marina if the guidline is anything like the Register Office £175.000 then the mind boggles has to just how much it will cost not to worry though.

It's only us Tax Payers paying for it.

The Great Dictator

Its value for money, even demolished the land will fetch £1.5m.

Hartlepudlion

What makes you say that TGD? It will only fetch that if a buyer is willing to pay that price. The way Hartlepool is going it is probably worthless. 

Remember how  vibrant this shed was ten years ago. That was the sort of attraction we need now not more 'affordable' houses. Who's to blame for its demise?

fred c

Quote from: The Great Dictator on November 23, 2013, 05: PM

Buy something for £1.5 Million.... then sell if for £1.5 Million.... how is that value for money ?

It is also Dependent on someone wanting to purchase the land of course..........

We could of course have shaved £3 Million Plus pounds off the £20 Million pounds cuts required, simply by.

a) Not ditching the town plan... saving £1.5 Million

b) Not purchasing The Big Tin Shed... saving £1.5 Million

c) Not attempting to develop a Retail Empire... saving £400,000

d) Not Paying for Full Time Union Officials... saving £100,000

I`m afraid Hartlepool is suffering from a massive "Ego" crisis........ & until the 2 massive "Ego`s" are voted out of office, Hartlepool has absolutely no chance of moving forward.

Hartlepudlion

Couldn't agree more Fred c particularly with your last paragraph.

tankerville

What next purchasing the Odeon / Longscar Centre. Oh and Morrison Hall whatever became of that? as far as I know nothing it's still derelict what a pity. H.B.Council is in the same way.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: The Great Dictator on November 23, 2013, 05: PM

On past record HBC would pay to clear the site, sort any contaminated land issues and then sell at less than the cost of those works.  No one could argue that HBC has a good record on past land deals, yet I've been to loads of meetings over the years were Councillors of all parties challenge this situation.

The Great Dictator

5 acres of prime land, i'd pay £1.5m for it if i had the cash spare..

If they hadn't bought it, it could be the next Longscar Hall.

It was never really vibrant, it was always a white elephant.

fred c

Quote from: tankerville on November 23, 2013, 10: PM
What next purchasing the Odeon / Longscar Centre. Oh and Morrison Hall whatever became of that? as far as I know nothing it's still derelict what a pity. H.B.Council is in the same way.

I have mentioned Morrison Hall somewhere or other previously, HBC apparently purchased the building at auction for around £60,000 + costs, then spent X amount on basic repairs.

They then attempted to punt it off to a "Developer"..... like a black hole... no further news has emerged.

Hartlepudlion

TGD afraid I have to disagree. Where I used to live they ran coach trips to Jackson's Landing.  Other areas did the same as it was no doubt an attraction. It did start to lose its appeal when it became one big outlet but before that, yes it was vibrant. What other Hartlepool attraction can you point to that brought coach loads of trippers into the town?

As for the cause of its demise, I don't know I wasn't here. Rumour I heard at the time was the Council started to collect CT on the property forcing all the small businesses  out. Greed of the landlords? I don't know but we lost an asset.

SRMoore

I agree to an extent, Hartlepudlion. Jacksons Landing was an asset but it peaked before its full potential was seen.
If JL had opened in the past few years, since the addition of Anchor Retail Park and the other numerous retail outlets I believe it would have been a major success.

The Great Dictator

Wrong boys, the onset of the internet since JL was built would have killed it off anyway.

Not enough people go shopping nowadays, its too easy to do it online.

Hartlepudlian, all businesses pay business rates and even you should know that the landlords don't receive it.

My daughter worked in there for a while, she said some days they would turnover £50, the rents alone were about £3-400 a week plus overheads, this town has no spending power but plenty of shoplifters.

SRMoore

Quote from: The Great Dictator on November 24, 2013, 11: AM
Wrong boys, the onset of the internet since JL was built would have killed it off anyway.

Not enough people go shopping nowadays, its too easy to do it online.

Tell Dalton Park that.

The Great Dictator

I was there 3 weeks ago it was deserted..