Employment

Started by DRiddle, September 30, 2013, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Fact one. We spend £90 billion a year on welfare for working-age people. Not pensions. Just welfare for working age people – and that's one pound in every eight the government spends.

Another blatant attempt to redefine 'welfare'

Working people get Welfare. People trapped on low paid part-time work and zero hours contracts for instance.
Strip out the amount paid to the unemployed and the figure shrinks  considerably.

64% of all families get benefits.

30% of all families get half their income from benefits.

ARC86

You already have to sign a contract when claiming JSA - so nothing new there really

I fact just about everything Cameron said in that speech he had already said before, the only new part is benefits for under 25s, sure youth unemployment is at record levels, but what about the over 25s? Its age discrimination for this reason - man under 25 falls out of work he loses his housing benefit, man over 25 has the same problem but doesnt lose anything! Both paid into the system but one gains and the other loses.. only way around it is to take out the universality of the benefits system.. this one heading straight for judicial review

mk1

Looking at the chart I posted earlier shows that Pension Credit (a method of fiddling the unemployment figures by allowing  those over 60 to stop signing on) cost  more than  ordinary Unemployment benefit.
Can we expect those people to be the next targets?

fred c

I really didn`t want to pass any comment on the recent Mail article concerning young people finding "Apprenticeships"........ But some of the posts on this thread have kind of forced me into it.

I am pleased those young lads in the photograph have found work, & from my experience the Majority of young people are very keen to get on the work ladder & good luck to them in that endeavour.

But to claim that  those Lads are apprentices is stretching the credibility of most of us to far, an apprenticeship used to 4 or 5 years, it was in a "Trade"...such as.

Plumber
Electrician
Joiner
Car Mechanic
Welder
Plater
Bricklayer
Instrument Technician
Mechanical Fitter
Etc Etc Etc

During their training they were paid Pro-Rata until they "Came Out " of their time, they were then free to literaly "Roam The Country" working wherever the work vacancies took  them.

For "Call Me Dave" to keep trotting out the Million Apprenticship Created Bo**ox is a travesty, in the real world Shelf Stackers, Street Cleaners, Litter Pickers et-al are never going to be "Tradesmen" they are going to be,in reality unskilled workers at the mercy of opportunistic employers looking for cheapo labour.

At the end of the day, the facts are there are not enough jobs for the people out of work, the way out for Cameron & the Bulingdon Boys is to demonise the worst off in our society, blame young people for being Indolent & Lazy, blame the old lady for going to the bingo a few times a week, blame the family of 4 where the Father loses his job & has to claim JSA & Housing Benefit.

My Grandkids deserve the same opportunities as Camerons, Cleggs, Osbornes, Duncan Smiths.......... are they likely to get it under the system they envisage for the working class people of Britain......... Highly unlikely unless one of them wins the X Factor.

Working hard & doing well at school & university is no longer a guarantee of a good job, however...... having a father who can afford to send you to Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Stonyhurst or Ampleforth or any of the other big public schools is as close to a Guarantee as you can get for your child to end up with a decent highly paid job.

So Yeah Dave.......... We are all Equal & we are all in this Together roflmao

SRMoore

Quote from: fred c on October 03, 2013, 02: PM
Working hard & doing well at school & university is no longer a guarantee of a good job

I think Stephen Allison would argue from personal experience of his children knuckling down, that your statement simply isn't true, Fred. Though they may have to be willing to get on a bike/train/boat to find it.

DRiddle

Graduate unemployment over the last 5 or 6 years  is on average around 15%, compared to around 25% amongst none graduates. Although this figure varies enormously depending on the type of degree.

Did anyone see Councillor Akers-Belcher (Christopher) on the local news?

It seems they've finally accepted what most intelligent people have been saying for years and they've started to do something to try to tackle NEETS and youth unemployment. Councillor Akers-Belcher actually went as far as to say that our councillors had "Stolen David Cameron's thunder" in that they were "ahead of the game" with regard to tackling youth unemployment.

I'd argue that given we have literally the second highest % of 18-24 years olds out of work in the entire country, that the last thing we are is "ahead of the game".

fred c

Quote from: SRMoore on October 03, 2013, 07: PM
Quote from: fred c on October 03, 2013, 02: PM
Working hard & doing well at school & university is no longer a guarantee of a good job

I think Stephen Allison would argue from personal experience of his children knuckling down, that your statement simply isn't true, Fred. Though they may have to be willing to get on a bike/train/boat to find it.

Having a step daughter graduate with a good degree now working as a bar maid.... i can tell you in an awful lot of cases my statement is perfectly true.

AS for Cllr C Akers Belcher passing the comment that HBC are ahead of the game with regards to tackling youth unemployment.......... I would suggest in the light of the facts listed by DRiddle below.

"I'd argue that given we have literally the second highest % of 18-24 years olds out of work in the entire country, that the last thing we are is "ahead of the game".

That Cllr C Akers Belcher is as usual talking Blah Blah Blah.

mk1

Quote from: stephen allison on October 04, 2013, 12: AMYou need to get onm yotr bike and look for work! It is out there but itrs never going to come to you.

Even if everyone took the first job they could find and we had full employment there would still be unemployed people. It is a game of musical chairs and attacking the standing people when the music stops is a despicable act.
The good thing is the Libs will never agree to it so unless Cameron gets a majority (highly unlikely) then it is just a headline grabbing  ploy.

Hartlepudlion

Have to agree with SA. I can't understand the mentality that says you must have jobs locally, in an ideal world maybe. From time immemorial people have gone to were the work is. Indeed it is this philosophy that created this town and Middlesborough to name but two. If people from the EU and the rest of the World are prepared to move to a new country why not the Brits? It is something we were once very good at. The answer, they prefer the easy life on benefits. Alternatively, most are unemployable. If the jobs were available they would be filled by migrants.

Just for the record, I moved four times for work.

pensionater

I'm not sure the UKIP supporters on this site will agree with that proposal Hartlepudlion.

DRiddle

stokoe

well said david and a nice bit of advertising for hartlepool post.

just a thought the few councillors i seen round the table cranny et al how many working years
have they got under there belts.