Well That's That Then - No More Wynyard.

Started by steveL, July 16, 2013, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

"Well, not unless the next parliamentary election is approaching, when some political pragmatism will come into play."

If this is a suggestion that, should the Government relent and agree to provide the missing £100m, we may all be tempted to return a Tory MP in 2015 then it's hard to take it seriously.

Go back to 2002 and the Trust's original published plan to close Hartlepool Hospital and transfer everything to North Tees - it's fairly easy then to imagine that the last 11 years have been little more than a dream.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

rabbit

No Steve I don`t think we will be tempted,  but I remember that the outgoing Labour government gave the go-ahead for Wynyard.

They already had a very strong hold in this area. so it was not important for them to give the ok,. except to perhaps give a "caring image" to a national electorate (or perhaps to drop the next government in it)

In a national election, it may not need much of a shove to turn a majority even if locally, the situation is unaltered
So in the end the final decision whether to go ahead or not with the hospital could well be political..

steveL

You forget that Mandelson was in charge of the election campaign and if you've read him since, he openly acknowledges that he knew they were going to get thumped. Pre-election, (and even though they had no money) Mandelson and his side kicks wandered the country just beforehand writing bouncing checks and giving the go-ahead for all sorts of things knowing full well that those nasty Tories were going to have to cancel everything once they saw the books.

Remember Clegg and that big loan promised to a big Sheffield company? - used as leverage to persuade Clegg to go into coalition with Labour, if need be, after the election. It didn't work and the Tories cancelled the loan almost immediately.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

beanzontoast

As a reply to the wynyard hospital if anyone would care to go back far enough, well not that far really just to the labour government for 13 years prior to 2010 apart from introducuing mass immigration the also introduced an initiative called PFI  look it up it was HArtlepools beloved Labour party who started closing hospitals and yes that means Hartlepool when the voters of the country of Great Britain not I might mention PHF as far as I'm aware there are only five of them well they can move mountains then, to continue when the government changed wynyard was cancelled it was said at the time becaust of the cost that was not true the coalition gov. Had the money to build it but the ruinouse cost of the PFI initiative it was cancelled it will be built but without PFI just remember it was the LABOUR government who signed the documentation to close your hospital down.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Just goes to show what can happen with the right back up ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23518732

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Our MP has just opened a revamped sub post office ..you can't expect him to do everything !!!
I don't believe it.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on July 31, 2013, 12: PM
Our MP has just opened a revamped sub post office ..you can't expect him to do everything !!!

;D  Mr Dolittle?

fred c

He is about effective as a 1 Legged Man In An Ar*e Kicking Contest.

mk1

Given he has a huge allowance for 'postage' I don't think we will be seeing him having to buy many stamps..................

pensionater

Postman Tw*t.Sorry i could't resist.

rabbit

It seems that the English NHS hospitals` A and E departments are struggling, so the government is to provide some 500 million pounds (more than the cost of the proposed Wynyard hospital) to help out.

This is to be spread over the two years leading up to the General Election.

Perhaps a chunk of this money will find it`s way to North Tees and will thus reduce the incentive to build a new hospital at Wynyard.

On the other hand, if the new hospital finally gets the go ahead, there will be less need to boost up the A and E services at North Tees.

Vinegar and brown paper.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-07/u-k-hospitals-get-500-million-pound-boost-to-prepare-for-winter.html

Inspector Knacker

If you go around closing A&E's, you thus have less of them and the pressure on them will logically increase on what remains. It ain't rocket science.
Mind you, looking at the bigger picture, minor injury units/ walk in centres are a much cheaper option for the bean counters..... if not for us.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.