Local Elections - 3rd of May 2012

Started by The Shadow, April 05, 2012, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunsen Honeydew

Elections in Hartlepool look really interesting this year - with an ideal opportunity for the town to get rid of some of the long time incumbent Councillors across all parties who don't do the "job" for their party or the people of the wards they represent; but enjoy the ego stroke they get (and of course the cash). Those who appear in the local press at every opportunity showing their inflated ego's (and waist lines- at our expense) are some of the worst culprits.

However, these individuals will be re-elected without any problem. This will be mainly due to the bullying of electors to get out and vote in those wards by party activists on the run up and on the day of election.

My advice - put a poster up in your window of the direct compertition - as there is nothing like putting off even the most hard faced activist than an assumption they are wasting their time !!
I know I have been the activist coming down your path - but no more I'm retired and now an armchair observer  :'(

Hazysky

Quote from: Bunsen Honeydew on April 09, 2012, 07: PM
My advice - put a poster up in your window of the direct compertition - as there is nothing like putting off even the most hard faced activist than an assumption they are wasting their time !!
I know I have been the activist coming down your path - but no more I'm retired and now an armchair observer  :'(
as a manor house resident Im in the direct firing line....would love a 'putting hartlepool first' poster for my window and all my family/friends/neighbours windows....anyone got any ideas where I can get one?

beanzontoast

I stand corrected on some of your points Mr Shadow, however the coalition government did give all councils the choice my point being that because the coalition in government, has tories in it a labour controlled council will have nothing to do with any help off them thank you very much. and yes i agree with you if it was not for the local elections they would have put your council tax up, it`s what they do can a leopard change it`s spots. Also the police are always asking for more money to reduce crime, or for faster cars to get where they are going faster, or some such thing, they come to the council chamber with their uniform on with a batch of pie charts and numbers and the council always gives it to them no questions, and thats the trouble no-one asks are they cutting crime, or are those numbers and statistics from previous years, and again as you say it`s local election time. The fire brigade some years ago were going on strike for more pay etc when it was published many had other jobs or businesse`s some even lived abroad and flew into england to start work they stopped the strike action and pay demands, so it looks like they have teamed up with the police to get an allowance increase it all has to be paid for from somewhere. The council is a service provider but they have took on the roll as a multinational corporation, and they pay themselves accordingly.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

The poster for my window ...

If you didn't walk beside me on the march to save the A&E, don't come knocking for my vote.
I don't believe it.

steveL

Gets the point over quite nicely, methinks
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

I think Lilley might get Rural with 2 tories.

beanzontoast

Hi Stig of Seaton and Steval, I agree there is some important issues to be dealt with, and i take it that you both may be voting on may the third if so good on you, you are becoming thin on the ground. It was said if people keep doing the same things they get the same reresult, Bowie sang about the same thing in one of his songs cant remember title but he was always crashing in the same car. The point is to ALWAYS look at a party`s manifesto if they havent got one they will only create hot air. However there is one party that has a manifesto which will address your concerns regarding A&E in hartlepool, as always look and you will find, i can`t remember where that came from either.

The Shadow

Quote from: testicles on April 10, 2012, 12: AM
I think Lilley might get Rural with 2 tories.

He isn't standing in Rural West. He abandoned Greatham to try in Fens and Rosmere.

steveL

"abandoned Greatham " . . . LOL . . . so subtle.  ;D

The old ward has been split and, whichever ward he was now contesting, I'm sure you'd be there saying that he's 'abandoned' that part of his old ward not included in the one he's decided to contest.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

christine blakey

It does not matter what ward, as after all, there has been a major switch around within the political parties.

I just think we need to concentrate on what ambitions there are in each candidate to speak up for the ward and the town?

I wonder how many people are standing who post on here?

Why and why not?

One of the reasons Hartlepool Post is not populated by more posters including those who are standing, is because of stupid but damaging catfights.  Please think about the issues that matter.  It is not about getting one over on here, it is about standing up for the town.  That is what this forum is about, isn't it?

The Shadow

I was simply replying to a comment someone had made earlier.

Perhaps "abandoned" was too strong a word to use in hindsight.

christine blakey

My comments were in general on this really important topic. not directed at any one poster.

I respect individual comments but just want to focus on what the people want and who the people need to get it.

notinshadow

Quote from: christine blakey on April 10, 2012, 10: AM
It does not matter what ward, as after all, there has been a major switch around within the political parties.

I just think we need to concentrate on what ambitions there are in each candidate to speak up for the ward and the town?

I wonder how many people are standing who post on here?

Why and why not?

One of the reasons Hartlepool Post is not populated by more posters including those who are standing, is because of stupid but damaging catfights.  Please think about the issues that matter.  It is not about getting one over on here, it is about standing up for the town.  That is what this forum is about, isn't it?

"I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance".

Reuben Blades

christine blakey

The Great Dictator