In a galaxy not too far away

Started by Lord Elpus, May 05, 2019, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Elpus

Far be it from me to spread rumours of malicious gossip, however, I've heard (from Johnny on the spot) that senior Officers in a Local Authority in a galaxy not too far away are in a state of near panic.

Apparently the result of local elections has brought about the demise of the current leader and some of his closest allies.  This particular leader and his close associates are well known for being viscous, vindictive, nasty people who it is expected will not go quietly.  Such is the state of panic of said Officers that they have had meetings to try and ensure that the outgoing political administration cause as little trouble as possible.

Their big problem is the individuals involved are so unstable and unpredictable (not the Officers), that they fear for what might happen over the next two weeks.

I've heard some of them have decided to go on holiday to avoid the mayhem and carnage.

mk1

Quote from: Lord Elpus on May 05, 2019, 01: PM
This particular leader and his close associates are well known for being viscous, vindictive, nasty people who it is expected will not go quietly.  Such is the state of panic of said Officers that they have had meetings to try and ensure that the outgoing political administration cause as little trouble as possible.

So there are fears The SCABs (or should it now just be CAB?) will emulate the far-right loonies who routinely  try and block/disenfranchise their opponents by underhand methods?
In that great bastion of freedom (The good old U. S. of A.) it is the standard tactic of any outgoing right-wing administration.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/04/republicans-democrats-michigan-wisconsin-voting-midterms

Land Phil

The way the cabal get away with so much made me wonder how many officers have balls, including the chief exec.

fred c

I thought we were paying for a full time union representative to look at any concerns council employees may have...... bullying, abuse, victimisation, etc etc

diSme

Quote from: Land Phil on May 05, 2019, 03: PM
The way the cabal get away with so much made me wonder how many officers have balls, including the chief exec.

I understand what you are saying, however to be fair to said officers, it must be an awful situation to be in...

For those guys it's an actual job, and they're the line between the councillors and Joe Public.

Put yourself in their shoes
I believe everything and nothing

Inspector Knacker

In a normal relationship between officers and Councillors, a mutual respect would be the ideal scenario, given that the officers are there to advise, having the necessary knowledge.
However, when someone turns up to work to find that A Sun God and their entourage with the collective IQ of a mashed turnip, the ego of Hollywood diva and all the charm of a flamethrower, you tend to find work is as welcoming as a job swap with a local Council in North Korea.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

There has been plenty of officers on 6 figure salaries that have not stood up to councillors.

fred c

Quote from: Land Phil on May 06, 2019, 12: AM
There has been plenty of officers on 6 figure salaries that have not stood up to councillors.

I worked in a industry were bullying was considering the norm on certain projects, the bullies revelled in their power, the thought of sacking a working man with a family and a mortgage never entered their heads.

Individuals with that mindset are thankfully few and far between but dealing with them is incredibly difficult, in theory the senior manager should be the person to stop the ego maniacs bullying behaviour, unfortunately and for whatever reason they choose to ignore the situation.

mr ben

i work in a industry where if you don't perform you are history . if you c**k up more than once your history . WHEN IS SOME ONE GOING TO STEP UP TO THE MARK AND CLEAN OUT THIS FESTERING PILE OF CRAP.   

kevplumb

Quote from: fred c on May 06, 2019, 08: AM

I worked in a industry were bullying was considering the norm on certain projects, the bullies revelled in their power, the thought of sacking a working man with a family and a mortgage never entered their heads.

Individuals with that mindset are thankfully few and far between but dealing with them is incredibly difficult, in theory the senior manager should be the person to stop the ego maniacs bullying behaviour, unfortunately and for whatever reason they choose to ignore the situation.
think we have all been on a job likr that fred!
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

When you have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed, taking a principled stand against imperious people who appear to find it hard to even comprehend the thought they could be wrong....ever.
However, the one person who should be a bastion against the excesses of the fantasists in office is the Chief Executive. Unfortunately that would require a strong character to reason with the elected yapping egos, but you can reason with a radiator for all the good it will do you. We appear to have the Vicar of Dibley in a role that required a more robust challenge to the fantasists steering the ship.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.