Beck resigns

Started by admin, July 27, 2018, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: DRiddle on July 29, 2018, 12: PM
He'll probably claim he was never legally a Councillor, never legally ceremonial mayor and never legally existed.
Airbrush time ?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

DRiddle

Does anyone else think it's a bit strange there's been no official publicly regarding Beck's resignation yet? It was common knowledge he intended to finish as a councillor at the end of his term anyway. So to resign many months before seems odd. Even the fact that he faced deselection was irrelevant really as he didn't intend to defend the seat anyway.  It's all very odd. I guess there could be dozens of reasons why he opted to resign though. Well, more then dozens, hundreds, thousands, maybe even 10,000.

It all just seems really rifty shifty.

Still, these things usually have a habit of coming to the surface eventually.

Inspector Knacker

We live in interesting times.
Any chance of a bunker being built sometime soon?

fred c

I would have thought the Mail would have ran an article on the resignation of the immediate past Mayor, in fact, it has to make people think why haven't they, what possible reason would they have not to.

DRiddle

From what I'm hearing he's 'post dated' his resignation until the 31st of August. Presumably so he clicks for two more allowance payments than he would have done if he tendered if with immediate effect. I'm not even sure that's allowed to be honest, but then this is HBC. The rules don't apply to everyone.

DRiddle

In other unconnected news, I'm told there's been a plethora of freedom of information requests submitted about The Rifty Youth Project. Apparently submitted  by constituency Labour Party members (or people associated with them).  The Rifty Youth project is one of the charitable organisations (although not legally a charity) that Beck awarded £10,000 of his mayoral fundraising money to.

Strangely, if a charitable organisation is in receipt of funding of more than £5,000 per year, let alone £10,000, they HAVE to be a registered charity.

The Rifty Youth project is not a registered charity. Which begs the question, what exactly is it? Why are HBC regularly funding it? And what specifically has the charitable organisation done with the money it received from Beck?

Lots of questions to answer.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Quote from: DRiddle on July 31, 2018, 05: PM
In other unconnected news, I'm told there's been a plethora of freedom of information requests submitted about The Rifty Youth Project. Apparently submitted  by constituency Labour Party members (or people associated with them).  The Rifty Youth project is one of the charitable organisations (although not legally a charity) that Beck awarded £10,000 of his mayoral fundraising money to.

Strangely, if a charitable organisation is in receipt of funding of more than £5,000 per year, let alone £10,000, they HAVE to be a registered charity.

The Rifty Youth project is not a registered charity. Which begs the question, what exactly is it? Why are HBC regularly funding it? And what specifically has the charitable organisation done with the money it received from Beck?

Lots of questions to answer.

If it is not a formal organisation, do they make the cheques out to an individual  ?
Smells less legit than the MRA.
I don't believe it.

kevplumb

was just thinking the same  ;)

it has all the hallmarks of another SCAB scam :o
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

fred c

The Rifty Project was described to me by the Borough Solicitor as a "Good Cause".......The obvious question is of course....Good for who ?

DRiddle

The worry is that it's starting to sound like a qashqai cash cow . . .

Inspector Knacker

Just how does someone go about starting these projects? Do they have to apply or do they just walk in and take over like the local squires?
Would a project have accounts?

Johnny Bongo

If HBC aren't forthcoming with any answers regarding the actual running of the Rifty and/or refuse to publish any accounts, then I'm sure HMRC would be interested !

The HMRC Fraud Hotline: 0800 788 887

The hotline is open between 8am and 8pm, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

Customers can use the new hotline to report all kinds of tax fraud and evasion, including:

PAYE and National Insurance fraud
undisclosed offshore investments
tax credit fraud
failure to pay UK duty
tax evasion
VAT fraud

Your move, HBC! 

kevplumb

would think the charities commision would show more than a passing interest as well
considering the money its had
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!

Grumblstiltskin

Don't you just love it when you can hear the noose tightening?

kevplumb

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: Grumblstiltskin on July 31, 2018, 11: PM
Don't you just love it when you can hear the noose tightening?
old Albert would have a field day  ;)