Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, July 08, 2017, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

From 1970 - 'Planning Teesside' is an interesting film from the BFI catalogue.  Shows how dreams (or nightmares) regarding the Borocentric entity have really not changed that much.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-planning-teesside-1970/

Inspector Knacker

Depressing watching. Our dear leader and his crew are quick marching us into the latest reinvention of this depressing surrender of our towns identity.
No bandwagon can pass without the need to leap on, regardless of where the journey leads.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

Well here we are and they're still chasing the dream and this time our councillors have jumped in two footed.
I was interested in how people in Billingham and Stockton were unhappy with the creation of Teesside County Borough only 2 years after its creation and all told the reporter where the money was going.
That's been the trouble, the whole scheme over the years is a political fantasist and planners dream.

angela

Thanks for providing the chance to see this. It certainly puts the current 'combines authority' business in perspective. How many Deja vu moments do we need before some people get the message?

Inspector Knacker

I watched as the presenter was driving down the new roads being laid on Seal Sands and was waxing lyrical about the millions of tons of slag used to reclaim the site. Speaking to the top man, they sounded totally focused on just banging more and more heavy industry into the area.
He appeared to me very dismissive when he said prior to all this it was just expanses of salt marsh, mud flats and seabirds (Sounds like paradise to me).