Just a minor example of joined up thinking...

Started by DRiddle, September 18, 2014, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

This story isn't on the same scale as other 'recent political events', but I do feel it's a microcosm of certain things wrong with aspects of HBC.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/education/call-for-hartlepool-s-millennium-mural-to-be-housed-in-new-art-college-1-6846319

Surely it's a simple enough plan to put the mural into storage for a few years until the college gets built, then do a 'grand re-unveiling' when it comes to opening it.

If you actually talk to the electorate of our town, most just want relatively simple decisions made correctly, swiftly and efficiently.

I genuinely fear for the future of our town under it's current leadership.

I also fear that in the event of a change of control within HBC, there will do so much damage already done that future prosperity for the town will be virtually irretrievable.

Inspector Knacker

Why would the Art College be remotely interested in displaying the 'mural' .....?
That  would be like  displaying a cabbage in a a flower show.
I'd let it rest in storage and let the Art College decide what they wish to display.... they actually know sometjing about  art after all....it's what they do.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

DRiddle

Dr Jill Fernie-Clarke, vice principal (Academic) at the college, said: "We would be delighted to explore if we could find a home for the Millennium Mural in our new building."

pensionater

I suppose what is classed as art is an individual thing.I thought that some of the interior design of Tunstall Court was artistic and well worth preserving but for the Mail to back this they would have had to go against the Councils agenda.Which was never going to happen.

The Great Dictator

We have enough valuables in storage in this town, i would like to see it displayed for all to see in a public place like the railway or bus station..

fred c

TGD......... I totally agree with your suggestion, get the towns positives out there for the public to see.

It would also be something for the tourists on Clr Robbie Payne`s "Free Tourist Bus" to see when visiting the town.

I do have reservations however..... whether or not the all of the exibits are still in the possession of HBC is something i wouldn`t like to put money on........ Mayoral Chain comes to mind.

Land Phil

The bus isn't free to stretched council tax payers just as emptying the bins isn't a free service.

Funny how the bus route takes in 3 businesses of council's senior sponsor Brian Morton.

As for the town's art, all they have to do us open the doors of the Grey art gallery again.

Hartlepudlion

Talking of joined up thinking-just been to Seaham today and this is a place that seems to improve every time I go. The marina cum docks have been cleaned up and there is now a very nice precinct of a few small shops and cafe AND loos. Really big improvement.
And then there is "Tommy" a soldier sculpture already mentioned by someone on this forum. A really distinctive and appropriate remembrance of WW1. What an improvement over Hartlepool's efforts.  But then the mob aren't interested unless it's Union led just as they ignored D Day in June. They would rather give available monies to their mates at White Gables.
If you have not been to see Tommy then I strongly recommend that you do. Talking to a local, he reckons more come to look from outside the town than in thus helping the local economy by tourism. So a big success all round.

PostItNote

Look's like the Art College could be as bad as the rest of them.

Although I agree it could house this art, will the art college ensure that people can see it or will it just be for arty students who take an interest?

It should be appreciated and protected by whoever gets to look after it, for them to benefit from it too but mostly that it does become a real prestigious tourism attraction for Hartlepool.  If the Art College can step up to the mark and deliver this, then get it there.  We can then benefit from something good in Hartlepool rather than it be another stored, sold or savaged potential gone to waste.