Burns Night

Started by Hartlepudlion, January 25, 2014, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

The Hart and Wolf comes from the seal of the ancient borough and wouldn't appear on the chain of 'West' Hartlepool so maybe it's the 'West' chain that was stolen - I don't know. I believe the seal of 'West' Hartlepool incorporated a pint of Strongarm and a 10-pack of Woodbines  ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Nothing about the source of the chains  matters because the chain was damaged. Who had it and who damaged it?
How much did the repairs cost?

SRMoore

So mk1 confirms what I thought. It was the Hartlepool chains that were stolen and the West Hartlepool ones remain.

So then... It would appear that the chains pictured in the restoration work could be those of West Hartlepool and we know that the Old Hartlepool's chains were stolen (pictured below the pic of Stephen). The insurance money was not used to buy replacement chains (much to the disgust of those in 'Old' Hartlepool).
So where did the chains that are worn by Stephen & Christopher come from and why aren't the original 'West' chains used by either the mayor/chairman or deputy/vice?

If I remember correctly, Carl wore the same chain as Stephen does so it has obviously been around for a while.

The source might not 'matter' but I'm intrigued.

tankerville

The Old Hartlepool Mayoral chains stolen were on display near to the doorway at the Civic Centre thieves blacked out the security cameras and entered the building.

Security cameras within the Civic were 'switched off' or not recording other factors that remained hushed up were that those responsible for the break in were in the Civic for quite a considerable time.

When Hartlepool Headland demanded the return or replacement Cllr R Payne commented let's get a cornflake box and cut some chains out and send them. That will save us a lot of money!

It was mentioned at full council Chief Executive Paul Walker was given a warning by a serving councillor three weeks prior to the theft that this could / would happen. He chose to ignore it.

I believe there was a meeting held with the Headland Committee and Stuart Drummond a deal of some sort agreed by all.

THERE WAS A BIG COVER UP REGARDING THIS BREAK IN & A POLICE REPORT WAS NEVER MADE PUBLIC. 'WHY'

Hartlepudlion

Was it not a suspected inside job?

mk1

Quote from: Hartlepudlion on January 26, 2014, 09: PM
Was it not a suspected inside job?

Not an insider.

The police know who did it they just can not prove it.

mk1

From 1960 West Hartlepool Mayor Coxon.

This is the same chain as the one SAB is wearing but with a different 'medallion'  on it