Mad Dog and Lidl

Started by DRiddle, December 19, 2018, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

Looks like she knows more about road and traffic issues than professional planning officers. . . Despite not being able to drive.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/decision-delayed-on-proposed-expansion-of-lidl-in-hartlepool-1-9501644

Maybe she's worried about ships going up Powlett Road.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Maybe she prefers Waitrose & Ocado?

Land Phil

I just don't get how the tail wags the dog.

Surely councillors should shape the work of the professionals on behalf of those they represent not dictate.

Inspector Knacker

It's a classic title for a topic. :D
Back to the topic, again, how is it planning officers, trained professionals, can be overridden?. Why bother employing professionals at we can let two brains Councillors take over their jobs.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Grumblstiltskin

She's a little concerned about a back entrance, that's enough to turn anybody's stomach

Johnny Bongo

Although MD has a reputation for being MD, at least she is being cautious.  Better this than to approve something which may cause accidents!    With Lidl being situated where it is, on the edge of a roundabout, there will always be a danger of RCA's, no matter where the entrance/ exit is.  At the moment it doesn't help that there is a slip road from Easington Road to Jesmond Gardens, which, in my experience, is a bit of a blind bend.  When trying to exit Lidl by car, one has to be very careful when pulling out to turn right, as some cars come round quickly and some tend to move toward the centre of the road if there are any parked cars outside the opposite houses.  My idea would be to cut the edge of the car park (right under the high Lidl sign on the edge of the roundabout) and straighten the road going  onto the roundabout.  HBC could do a land swap as there is a piece of land to the South, in Heather Grove.  Close the slip road and construct a a 'normal' exit road into Jesmond Gardens, so that drivers exiting from both Lidl and Easington Road can see each other. They would also need to slow down further. Also, this would stop most drivers from having to do a U turn just after the roundabout on Easington Road (next to the TA centre) in order to get to Jesmond Gdns, which , imo, is extremely risky although I do it myself!   Maybe HBC can consider this idea although it would cost a few quid to implement.

Inspector Knacker

This junction should have been sorted out a long, long time ago. However, I presume the professionals will have no doubt done their work and given the green light to the plans. Wherever there's an exit there's a problem and exiting the TA site has always been awkward as some fools think that stretch of Easington Road is a licence to floor it.
We rely on drivers being responsible and aware, but some drivers are beyond understanding.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 04, 2019, 06: AM
This junction should have been sorted out a long, long time ago. However, I presume the professionals will have no doubt done their work and given the green light to the plans. Wherever there's an exit there's a problem and exiting the TA site has always been awkward as some fools think that stretch of Easington Road is a licence to floor it.
We rely on drivers being responsible and aware, but some drivers are beyond understanding.

A driver parked outside the TA and a queue to take the shortcut U turn to get to Lidl can make it challenging.
Unrelated, it is a hot spot for the speed camera.
A 30mph road that looks like a dual carriageway is always going to be 'eventful'
I don't believe it.