Care Homes

Started by grim reaper, April 29, 2019, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim reaper

I have an elderly relative, with dementia, and I am looking for a care home for him.
Has anyone got first-hand experience on those to avoid and those that really look after their residents?
You read so many horror stories in the Press...I would hate to place him somewhere 'bad'.
Many thanks.

diSme

Quote from: grim reaper on April 29, 2019, 11: AM
I have an elderly relative, with dementia, and I am looking for a care home for him.
Has anyone got first-hand experience on those to avoid and those that really look after their residents?
You read so many horror stories in the Press...I would hate to place him somewhere 'bad'.
Many thanks.

I can confidently recommend Lindisfarne Care Home.

My old Nana spent the last couple of years of her life there, and we never had an issue with the staff or her treatment.

They have a very can do attitude, and get on with the job at hand. It's absolutely not one of those places that's all flowers and roses on the surface!

Have a look into it and see if it's potentially suitable for your needs.

If you have any questions, fire away. I'll do my best to answer honestly.

Also, may I commend you for doing your homework to find the best possible place for your relative. It's a tough time, and I hope you find somewhere he will be happy  :)
I believe everything and nothing

grim reaper

Much appreciated, diSme. I'll check it out.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: grim reaper on April 29, 2019, 11: AM
Many thanks.
Er, your user name doesn't quite sound appropriate for the topic ;)
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 29, 2019, 03: PM
Er, your user name doesn't quite sound appropriate for the topic ;)

I noticed that but thought I wouldn't mention it.

grim reaper

Yes, very unfortunate, given the circumstances.
it is what it is.

Inspector Knacker

What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

HarmonyPeace

At the beginning of 2011 my Dad who had dementia came to live with me when my Mam passed away. I was determined he wasn't going into a home. After 18mths for my sanity as well as my Dads I had to make the very difficult decision for him to go into a home. I visited many homes and decided Charlotte Grange would be perfect for Dad. I was right, after initial teething troubles which were expected he loved living there. We could visit anytime and the staff were wonderful and Dad had his favourites. At that time Charlotte Grange was a residential home not a nursing home. I would highly recommend Charlotte Grange as long as your relative doesn't need nursing care. Of course things may have changed over the last few years, but you should certainly have a look

The Great Dictator

I have visited every care home in Hartlepool over the last 4 years as part of our Dementia sufferers support scheme, we provide gifts to the homes for entertainment and stimulation.

All homes are generally good and regularly monitored by the council officers, i have heard some horror stories about most of them but i suggest you do your homework as regards

the needs of your relative as some services in some homes are better than others. Finding the right home is crucial but finding the right staff is pot luck i'm afraid.