is this true ?

Started by mr ben, April 26, 2019, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr ben

HBC  applied for a grant or funding for Middleton cabins and received 10 million pounds  to relocate ...

SRMoore

HBC received £10m to use towards 'indigenous growth' projects which will create jobs or growth in the town.

HBC asked TVCA if there was any money available for Middleton Cabins and we're informed there was none available from the TVCA.

Land Phil

Not quite, they have received a lot of money for projects like this from TVCA.
It was expected that some of the money would go towards saving the cabins but was not a specific condition.

Land Phil

Apologies replied same time as SRMoore

SRMoore

Np LandPhil. I suspect no amount of money would have saved the cabins on the current land in the long run. having seen an email from PD Ports which alluded to the land being cleared makes it easier to extend or create easier access to Irvines Quay.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Lucy Lass-Tick

The £10 million is to be spread over five years.

mr ben

so what are they  going to waste or squander it on ?

Heknocks68

Quote from: mr ben on April 27, 2019, 08: AM
so what are they  going to waste or squander it on ?
Or maybe, what have they commenced ..........already, hmmm, would this cover a floor following a misshap! Dependent upon the time frame involved. Granted this may only involve an instalment of the 10Mil to date or two, but even so, there do seem to be some issues with income versus expenditure in relation to certain "projects" so can we be sure some of these funds do not play a part, who knows.

Inspector Knacker

Looking at this from a different perspective, maybe this is part and parcel of future developments especially with Hoggs moving out also and port expansion plans.
We have a scenario where it apparently suits some people to blame Ben Houchen, which seems a bit desperate,  when this whole episode has been between the Council and PD Ports.
This is no overnight occurrence, it's been ongoing for a long time. The whole situation could have been averted if a suitable replacement site could have been found, but instead of acting positively the Councillors are wringing their hands and saying they're skint. That's not going to wash with me when they're buying up old pubs and derelict pizza shops, for what? A Council who cut bus subsidies but turns the bus depot into a film studio just about sums these people up.
Anyway, how about giving up bleating and doing something positive. What about the land where old town was, that great big wilderness has stood empty for over 20 years. With a bit of effort it could become an asset. Not a first choice location, but better than breaking up a long standing community.
The original sit could have been left alone, but the love affair with build twee flats with sea views was just too much for them to resist.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

SRMoore

Other council owned sites were available and offered as an alternative. Unfortunately they were discounted by the cabin owners (or at least those speaking on their behalf) as they were not next to the sea.

Inspector Knacker

They're 'FISHERMANS' cabins, a site near the sea would be an obvious choice. Sorry, but they're not the Caravan Club, they're fisherman's cabins.
I know sites were offered and they were ridiculous, in fact I thought someone was 'extracting the urine' to put it bluntly.
That said, I expect little from those in charge and they never fail to disappoint.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

SRMoore

A site near the sea would have been an obvious choice so if you can think of any council owned land next to the sea then please do tell us.

In the absence of such a site I would have thought another site
actually owned by the council charging peppercorn rent that would have secured a long term future for the community would have been a good compromise. Much better than them being flattened.

fred c

If they can stick a crazy golf course on Seaton Promenade they could have relocated the fishermans cabins to Newburn Bridge, the land at Old Town or behind the South Bus Shelter. ?

SRMoore

I don't believe the land at old town is owned by HBC and to be blunt, residents of Seaton didn't want a Crazy Golf course on the sea front there so the prospect of these cabins moving there wouldn't have gone down well either. Let's be honest.