Efficiency Savings / Point Of Order

Started by Stig of the Seaton Dump, October 01, 2017, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Would it be possible to put something forward to cut the number of councillors from 3 to 2 per ward ?
I think this would have to come from another body, next peer review, boundary review etc. to have any gravity.
It would be very telling if it was put forward and rejected.

My reasoning is that a third cut in councillors would pay for the recent allowance rise.
I would also reason as the majority of councillors are directed under a whip that a cut in numbers wouldn't change voting power.

The few full council meetings I have been to have been like the House Of Lords.
Most people saying nothing, some looking almost asleep, some too fuddled to answer without help and prompting.
I also don't see the point in Councillors that abstain or vote against their party and then carry on as though nothing has happened, just no point to them being there with their unprincipled views.

Is it a starter ?

As a point of order I also think that when Councillors speak in the Chamber they should always start speaking by giving their name and Party.
Either that or face the public.
A timer visible to the public that starts running when each councillor gets a turn might help make allocations fair too instead of people counting on their watches.
I don't believe it.

steveL

The free-for-all in housing developments since the local plan was scrapped has prompted another imminent look at the ward boundaries by the Boundaries Commission which is expected to be completed by 2019/20. This is the time for any suggestions and the public are always asked for their input.

Not sure about the repetitive introductions but the large timer seems like a cracking idea given that all the Council Chairman that I have seen have had an apparent problem in telling the time depending on who was speaking. ::)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.