Transport infrastructure.

Started by Inspector Knacker, January 19, 2020, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: eddy on January 29, 2020, 03: PM
Which brings us nicely onto transport, within the last hour the "butter wouldn't melt in their mouths" Conservative party has just re-nationalised our rail services.  I am sure some self-pity obsessed commie scum put a similar idea forward but a few months back ?
You have to be in power to make a difference. Nationalisation,ironically a Tory government has been threatened for a long time and now they've done it. Good.
As for the 'self -pity obsessed commie scum' jibe from you, you can have all the intentions in the world, but when your  political philosophy is the equivalent of putting the kids trampoline next to the wood chipper, you're never going to be in power to put anything into practice.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on January 29, 2020, 03: PM
I thought it was to trash all politicians. For my part I dump on everyone regardless of Party.

apart from your mate and failed politician the riddler?
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

Tee_Ess_25er

Wow, someone really has difficulty with pent up hatred.

eddy

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 30, 2020, 11: AM
Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 23, 2020, 08: PM
This is wandering off topic now in a rather spectacular fashion (and I'll hold my hands up as a guilty one there) ... so, now shall we return back to transport infrastructure?

I thought the purpose of the Hartlepool Post was to trash the labour party / movement?  Admittedly it probably isnt the stated intent of those who run the site, but a quick glance on here or FB and its mostly just "screw labour" stuff (see Mr Reaper earlier)
Party member....?

Yea, which I assume means I will get the boot from here soon

eddy

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 30, 2020, 12: PM
Which brings us nicely onto transport, within the last hour the "butter wouldn't melt in their mouths" Conservative party has just re-nationalised our rail services.  I am sure some self-pity obsessed commie scum put a similar idea forward but a few months back ?
You have to be in power to make a difference. Nationalisation,ironically a Tory government has been threatened for a long time and now they've done it. Good.
As for the 'self -pity obsessed commie scum' jibe from you, you can have all the intentions in the world, but when your  political philosophy is the equivalent of putting the kids trampoline next to the wood chipper, you're never going to be in power to put anything into practice.

I appreciate am not going to win on here and am not going to be drawn into those well rehearsed "fu** labour" rows, the conservatives are in power and it is those who support them who will have to defend their decision making process.  I hope for all our sakes they get it right for all those in society

I do however still find it hilarious they are nationalising it, and those who support them are trying to retrospectively make it out to be a good thing

eddy

Whilst on the subject re: privatisation, I will give you an analogy about from a friend who is an engineer in the Nuclear industry.  He works balancing turbine generators on power stations on behalf of Electricity De France (EDF), who it turns out own most of the UK power generation sector.  He got chatting to some French colleagues who were over helping with an outage at Didcot and they got chatting about the UK nuclear sector.  The Frenchmen could not fathom how a technology that was (for the most part) pioneered and rolled out by the UK was now being sold back to them by the French (because we had sold all our IP, assets and operations to the market back in the 1980s and 1990s).  Obviously they (and by extension) the French government are more than happy to fleece the UK tax payer for knowledge and expertise we were once at the fore front of, but even they found it a bit concerning.

This isn't a copy and paste from some leftie FB page, it's a direct account from some in the industry.  I am no Momentum radical but it is stuff like this that winds me up about the conservatives,   

Didn't I also hear Deutchbahn are a big shareholder of Arriva (who run Northern and several other train operators in the UK), wonder how many other countries in the EU we whore ourselves out to whilst simultaneously Brexiting all over the place? You have to admit it is slightly bonkers

akarjl2

Quote from: Tee_Ess_25er on January 31, 2020, 12: PM

Who are you referring to ?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: eddy on January 31, 2020, 01: PM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 30, 2020, 11: AM
Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 23, 2020, 08: PM
This is wandering off topic now in a rather spectacular fashion (and I'll hold my hands up as a guilty one there) ... so, now shall we return back to transport infrastructure?

I thought the purpose of the Hartlepool Post was to trash the labour party / movement?  Admittedly it probably isnt the stated intent of those who run the site, but a quick glance on here or FB and its mostly just "screw labour" stuff (see Mr Reaper earlier)
Party member....?

Yea, which I assume means I will get the boot from here soon
Why would you assume that? You haven't received your call papers from the Party pre local elections to 'do your bit' in spreading the word  have you. ...?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Tee_Ess_25er on January 31, 2020, 12: PM
Are you for real.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: eddy on January 31, 2020, 02: PM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 30, 2020, 12: PM

I appreciate am not going to win on here and am not going to be drawn into those well rehearsed "fu** labour" rows, the conservatives are in power and it is those who support them who will have to defend their decision making process.  I hope for all our sakes they get it right for all those in society

I do however still find it hilarious they are nationalising it, and those who support them are trying to retrospectively make it out to be a good thing
There are no well rehearsed rows, but that phrase does sound one from the Party book of 'appropriate phrases'. This has the rather tired hallmark of blah, blah. 
You know why you're here.

Inspector Knacker

Whilst on the subject re: privatisation, I will give you an analogy about from a friend who is an engineer in the Nuclear industry.  He works balancing turbine generators on power stations on behalf of Electricity De France (EDF), who it turns out own most of the UK power generation sector.  He got chatting to some French colleagues who were over helping with an outage at Didcot and they got chatting about the UK nuclear sector.  The Frenchmen could not fathom how a technology that was (for the most part) pioneered and rolled out by the UK was now being sold back to them by the French (because we had sold all our IP, assets and operations to the market back in the 1980s and 1990s).  Obviously they (and by extension) the French government are more than happy to fleece the UK tax payer for knowledge and expertise we were once at the fore front of, but even they found it a bit concerning.
They didn't fleece anyone, they paid for it.

This isn't a copy and paste from some leftie FB page, it's a direct account from some in the industry.
Your source is....?
I am no Momentum radical but it is stuff like this that winds me up about the conservatives.
The technology in question has me puzzled, as EDF bought out most of the Nuclear Plants obviously all the maintenance side would be part of the deal. You don't agree to buy something like a nuclear power station without the 'instruction manual'. If it was that important, why didn't your Tony  kick off, he had 13 years and I heard nowt.

Didn't I also hear Deutchbahn are a big shareholder of Arriva (who run Northern and several other train operators in the UK), wonder how many other countries in the EU we whore ourselves out to whilst simultaneously Brexiting all over the place? You have to admit it is slightly bonkersSo our chums over the channel are ripping us off on train fares compared to their home markets and you think Brexit 'bonkers'? If you're using that as logical argument you failed miserably. It's called contradicting yourself.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Just for the record - we don't tend to ban people. We do ban known rogue IP addresses (mainly bots). Our normal route if we can't trust a member not to be OTT is to put them on pre-mod (which means that every post they write has to be manually approved by admin. before it shows on the forum). Nobody is put on pre-mod because their ideas are 'different'.

kevplumb

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 31, 2020, 05: PM
Just for the record - we don't tend to ban people. We do ban known rogue IP addresses (mainly bots). Our normal route if we can't trust a member not to be OTT is to put them on pre-mod (which means that every post they write has to be manually approved by admin. before it shows on the forum). Nobody is put on pre-mod because their ideas are 'different'.

you've hammered a few of my posts in your time and im still here  :D :D :D :D :D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

eddy

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 31, 2020, 04: PM
They didn't fleece anyone, they paid for it.

This isn't a copy and paste from some leftie FB page, it's a direct account from some in the industry.
Your source is....?
I am no Momentum radical but it is stuff like this that winds me up about the conservatives.
The technology in question has me puzzled, as EDF bought out most of the Nuclear Plants obviously all the maintenance side would be part of the deal. You don't agree to buy something like a nuclear power station without the 'instruction manual'. If it was that important, why didn't your Tony  kick off, he had 13 years and I heard nowt.

Didn't I also hear Deutchbahn are a big shareholder of Arriva (who run Northern and several other train operators in the UK), wonder how many other countries in the EU we whore ourselves out to whilst simultaneously Brexiting all over the place? You have to admit it is slightly bonkersSo our chums over the channel are ripping us off on train fares compared to their home markets and you think Brexit 'bonkers'? If you're using that as logical argument you failed miserably. It's called contradicting yourself.

To pick up on your points above

Re: The sale to EDF, they did pay for it, fair and square, and can now charge us for fixing our assets and building us new ones.  We sold the family silver to coin a phrase, in this case to the French although it could have been China, the USA or anyone else really (and may one day become one of them).  I am not going to name my source as he is a close mate, but you will have to take my word for it that what is said was what was discussed, I dont really have much to gain here by making it up!

Re: The sale of technology, if you can get over the fact we are sending money to fund the French national electricity board (and will continue to do so regardless of Brexit because we can no longer do it ourselves) the issue we have going forward is the knowledge we have to build new infrastructure stoped when the state sold it to the private sector.

So we have to pay many many billions to build say a new nuclear power station at Hinckley Point say (as we have been trying to) because we no longer have the mental agility inside the UK to build it ourselves.  Or maybe we have the brains but certainly dont have the required organisation / vehicle to do it ourselves

Re: trains and Brexit, the French and German state railways will continue to run our railways for many years to come, i am all for re:nationalising the whole thing to stop this but we also disbanded and got rid of British Rail so I am not sure who will step in to run them from within the UK.  The "nasty" europeans havent been maliciously fleecing the UK population in train fares, they are operating within the profit and turn over parameters of our own government who set the terms of the franchise. 

We are the vicious whore of europe who wants them to give her everything yet at the same time wants to punch them in face.  And so with Brexit we will see if we can remember how to not whore ourselves out, or whether we will simply ask our european punters less money to have their way with us

akarjl2

I agree with you regarding British Rail....we should learn to operate trains the way the way the Dutch do. I can get from Amsterdam Schipol to Gronighen for 44 Euro first class new rolling stock with free wifi and tea/coffee. similar distance =60+ quid Hartlepool to Manchester cattle class......lucky to get a seat.....and trains constantly cancelled/delayed.

It can be done but the so called rail operators here are incapable of managing a hole in their arses.

Quote from: eddy on January 31, 2020, 09: PM
We are the vicious whore of europe who wants them to give her everything yet at the same time wants to punch them in face.

Speak for yourself....

Oddly you have just described labours approach to ANYONE running their own business. ;) Luckily the electorate did not believe Comrade Corby.. Get over it. Labour failed, The conservatives won and we are out of Europe. It is a new world.