Staincliffe

Started by admin, January 09, 2018, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Word has reached us that the Staincliffe is closed and that there's a letter pinned to the door. Bailiff time?

WhatTheHeck

The note on the door stated, 'Closed today due to technical fault', make of that what you will.

Pass the place several times daily, over last few weeks, virtually no cars in car park and no signs of life inside.

Also rumours abound that it's either in new hands and is to be refurbished or it's waiting for new owners to takeover.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

Inspector Knacker

How many desirable residences with a panoramic sea view could you shoe horn onto that site.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

WhatTheHeck

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 09, 2018, 05: PM
How many desirable residences with a panoramic sea view could you shoe horn onto that site.

Or retain the building, convert the top floors into apartments with restaurant/bar on ground floor.

Inspector Knacker

Too much wasted land that way, back and front.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

The back was shrunk and houses built years ago I believe.
The previous owner wanted to build flats there but obviously didn't grease the right palms.

It would be a crying shame with all the history in the building for it to be lost or significantly changed.
I don't believe it.

WhatTheHeck

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on January 09, 2018, 09: PM
The previous owner wanted to build flats there but obviously didn't grease the right palms.

It would be a crying shame with all the history in the building for it to be lost or significantly changed.

You are correct, there is a 'gated community' of bespoke bungalows to the rear.

Also agree that the 'buildun' should be retained, it's part of the 'Seatun eritage', just needs decent ownership/management.

Inspector Knacker

That building is an integral part of Seaton, but we live in strange times and nothing surprises me anymore.

seaton

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on January 09, 2018, 09: PM

They were built when Steve Wilson owned it husband of Trish Yuill of the Yuill Family.

WhatTheHeck

Let's see if the previous owner has walked away leaving unpaid council tax, which will then have to written off by HBC.

Probably find out in a year or two.

Disgruntled voter

I wonder if the previous and present owner have any shared assets or business interest?  Could this just be another change of director ship similar to the sport domes .

brassed off monkey

It`s a substantial building and it will take more than a quick fix coat of whitewash to refurbish the building outside, goodness knows how much will be required to refurbish the inside, bars, kitchens, communal rooms, bedroom and bathrooms haven`t been touched for years, a 6 figure lump of cash will hardly touch the surface.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I see the new owner is named as Paul Montgomery.

The same person who owned the Tuxedo Princess ?

I don't believe it.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on January 12, 2018, 10: AM
I see the new owner is named as Paul Montgomery.

The same person who owned the Tuxedo Princess ?

It isn't an uncommon name, but if it is the same chap he comes over as quite a character.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/stanley-nightclub-montgomerys-fails-bid-4405474

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/gibbo-files-super-scout-paul-7020841

notenoughsaid

Having read the article re the Stanley Night Club and looked at the photo of the premises it appears to have strong ties with Hartlepool via the Camerons Brewery signs on the wall. I note that the Red Lion is facing to the right to indicate Progress   rather than  looking behind giving the opposite effect. The logo was changed by the present owners circa 2013.   To finish am I right in thinking that Brian Morton held a position at the brewery not so long ago. Seems to be quite a coincidence.?