Free car parking

Started by DRiddle, December 29, 2015, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

http://m.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/hartlepool-could-make-parking-free-in-bid-to-boost-town-s-economy-1-7644479

I know regular contributors to the forum will know about Putting Hartlepool First raising this again, but I just wanted to draw more attention to it.

I'm genuinely bemused at Labours reluctance to do this. For the sake of about £350,000 (that's assuming we found literally NO car parking related income streams to offset to lost charges) it's blindingly obvious it would help retailers and business owners across the town.

It raises the issue of WHY is there such reluctance to do it from Labour?

Additionally, can I just make a plea to UKIP (and this isn't a dig) to actually get involved within HBC. You had upwards of 10,000 votes across the town last May.

The next local election will be with us before we know it. Currently there's barely half a dozen councillors meaningfully fulfilling the role of 'opposition' within the chamber.

Get involved.

mk1

Quote from: DRiddle on December 29, 2015, 01: PM

Additionally, can I just make a plea to UKIP (and this isn't a dig) to actually get involved within HBC. You had upwards of 10,000 votes across the town last May.

I heard they are busy getting up a petition to ban Brussel's Sprouts until after the vote......they think it is free publicity for the 'yes' camp!

seaton

Quote from: DRiddle on December 29, 2015, 01: PM
http://m.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/hartlepool-could-make-parking-free-in-bid-to-boost-town-s-economy-1-7644479

I know regular contributors to the forum will know about Putting Hartlepool First raising this again, but I just wanted to draw more attention to it.

I'm genuinely bemused at Labours reluctance to do this. For the sake of about £350,000 (that's assuming we found literally NO car parking related income streams to offset to lost charges) it's blindingly obvious it would help retailers and business owners across the town.

It raises the issue of WHY is there such reluctance to do it from Labour?

The next local election will be with us before we know it. Currently there's barely half a dozen councillors meaningfully fulfilling the role of 'opposition' within the chamber.

Get involved.
Parking won't be free because they have spent a fortune installing ticket machines and laying down yellow lines, they then have to find jobs for or make the wardens redundant.
I think the better alternative would be to make parking free for the first hour, about as much time you need in the Shopping Centre.

DRiddle

Shoot for the moon . . .  ;)

not4me

first hour free would be a fair compromise for a first step but the goal must be to get rid of them altogether

for fawkes sake

Shops in Middleton Grange face several obstacles to their success including high rents, high service charges and parking charges. The high rents and service charges are down to the shopping centre owners who don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of economic rent preferring to leave units empty rather than reduce the rents to a level that achieves a fuller occupancy rate.

The council, for its part, decide the level of parking charges and should do so not by considering how many apple orchards it wants to plant but by considering how important it is to have a successful town centre. To me it's quite simple; the town centre must be allowed to compete on a level playing field and, surrounded as it is by retail parks and supermarkets offering totally free parking, it has no choice but to do the same.   
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

fred c

The Dear Leader & his Clown Council need to look no further than Teesbay & Anchor Retail Parks, free parking & for a good part of the day packed out with cars & customers.

I realise B&Q are closing, but i bet a pound to a pinch of Clown Council  B******t someone takes it on long before they sell on Raymondo's Big Tin Shed.

mk1

Inspector Knacker

The all day parkers are usually town centre workers. Open the car parts at 9am
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.