The Last Straw?

Started by steveL, February 04, 2015, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

An investigation into the Durham PCC has been reported to the CPS over bonus payments he received while working as Deputy Commissioner at Cleveland Police.

"Mr Hogg, a Labour police and crime commissioner who was an officer for 30 years, said: "When serving as deputy chief constable with Cleveland Police I received three benefits.

"These were awarded by the Cleveland Police Authority in recognition of outstanding performance.

"The benefits were made in accordance with the national performance bonus scheme in place at the time, and I believe that in one instance the decision was made following independent legal advice.

"As an employee, I played no part in making any of these decisions, and thus, I am both astonished and disappointed at the decision to refer this matter to the CPS."

The IPCC launched an investigation into the claims in October 2013 - one of a number into allegations against PCCs since the first elections for the newly formed role of police tsar were held in November 2012.

The allegations against Mr Hogg were referred to the IPCC by Durham's police and crime panel, the body responsible for publicly scrutinising the actions and decisions of the PCC.

The panel received information from officers working on Operation Sacristy, which looked into alleged corruption within Cleveland Police.

Following an assessment of the referral, the IPCC launched its own independent investigation to be overseen by Commissioner James Dipple-Johnstone.

An IPCC spokesman said: "The Independent Police Complaints Commission has completed its investigation into the Police and Crime Commissioner for Durham, Ron Hogg, and passed its report to the Crown Prosecution Service.
"

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/crime/police-commissioner-facing-prosecution-over-bonus-payments-1-7089000
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.