Gowland family holiday film of the 1950's

Started by marky, April 17, 2012, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky

this is great cine film. it shows the gowland family holiday film of the 1950's. it shows the headland carnival parade and funfair. also seaton carew fairground. a very good movie and never seen film footage.
http://youtu.be/KoGw1MOAkbM

notinshadow

Marky

Was Vincent Gowland born 1910  in this film do you know?

He married Dorothy and their children included Marjorie who later married John.

marky

can't say...they were just some videos I picked up from YouTube that I thought people would find interesting. I don't know the family but I think they have done everyone a service in providing us with this video record of Hartlepool as it was.

notenoughsaid

To Marky.    I wish to thank you very much for showing the  films depicting both of  the Gowland and Campbell families. In an ironic way I have been associated with both as a youngster and it created a totally unexpected trip down memory lane.   In relation to the Gowland films I seem to remember my parents used to associate with Mr.and Mrs.Gowland on a social basis and I congratulate Peter for what he has achieved  for the people of the town.Well done.!!!   In the late fifties  (in a group situation) I was member of the Hartlepool Yacht Club Junior section and clearly recall the speed boats,dinghys and the "Princess Royal"lifeboat alongside Middleton beach adjacent to the old Ferry prior to being  hauled into the Life Boat Station.The stoutly built lad with the tousled blonde hair was Robbie Maiden ,seen to be organising the recovery of the life boat,went on to be a cox swain in his ownright  and at a later date was decorated for bravery for saving life at sea.    With regards to the second films I used to try to learn to dance "The Twist" to music from a Dansette Major record player in the Campbells garage( residence )in Wooler Rd.   with Mr.Campbells daughter,Carol, and the gang,Thanks once again.As footnote it was nice to see on the films people dressed in their summer best enjoying weather which we dont seem to get nowadays ,so much for Global warming. I also noticed a large white coloured motor launch heading up the channel.That was the "Grillette" a tender to Hitlers Yacht,owned by"ToT"Richardson of the coach firm (the commadore) of the Yacht Club at the time and the last I heard of the vessel it was moored at Gozo ,off Malta.   Happy days .Thanks.

steveL

I would never have recognised him but Robbie Maiden lived a few doors down from me in Prissick Street.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notenoughsaid

Just a quick reply to"LookslikeToryagain".... I have just read your question to Marky re Vincent Gowland. (I must have missed it first time around.) I dont know of Vincent Gowland however  the family depicted lived in Warden St. off Alma Street and I remember my folks called them (Wally and Norrie) or something similar. If you look at the start of the movie it shows the words WALNOR  production which would add up.   Hope this helps.

mk1

Would you be in any way related to the 'nuff said' who used to spam the Mail letters page  in the 1980's?

notenoughsaid

To  Marky..No, but I too remember his letters. Quite pertinent at the time.A good letter writer. His name was Wesley WILBURN and he lived near the lower Burn Valley. His Triumph Tiger Cub M/cycle could often be seen near the bookies in Church St in an era when you could leave it in the knowledge it would be there when you returned ... so to answer your query I am"notenoughsaid"!!!!!
PS I am not suggesting he spent his time in the Bookies as he was a window cleaner in the area.