Poo crab death sea

Started by eddy, October 25, 2021, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddy

See our MP towed the party line and voted against the motion to put further restrictions on what water companies are allowed to dump out at sea.  Fancy an MP ignoring the views of their constituency and towing the party line eh?  Paint it blue or red, doesnt really make much difference 

As a side from the cheap point scoring (please forgive my indulgence, its hard with Saint Ben appearing at every corner), anyone got any thoughts on the reasons for all the recent marine creature deaths?  I dont think there has been (relatively) more poo than usual dispatched into the sea of late   

notenoughsaid

Without wishing to be a  scaremonger  I read last week about a problem involving crabs who seem to enjoy and in fact are attracted to  sub sea power cables. Apparently they can locate them by picking up a small magnetic pulse which can affect their immune system and disturb eating habits causing harm . (no pun intended re magnetic !!! ). The amount  or strength of the leaking power is very small but still harmful to crustaceans.   I accept that the local off shore wind farm has been with us some time but  it is possible  that some of the buried cable may have been uncovered in places.    Just a thought. Sorry I can not remember the location of this but it was in the UK.

notenoughsaid

Further to the above a quick check showed the source to be BBC News 11/10/21 following experiments at St.Abbs Head Marine Station  conducted  by Heriott-Watt university staff. Long live Google.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Have heard that the dead crabs etc. are all along the region's coastline - not just Hartlepool.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: eddy on October 25, 2021, 01: PM
See our MP towed the party line and voted against the motion to put further restrictions on what water companies are allowed to dump out at sea.  Fancy an MP ignoring the views of their constituency and towing the party line eh?  Paint it blue or red, doesnt really make much difference 

As a side from the cheap point scoring (please forgive my indulgence, its hard with Saint Ben appearing at every corner), anyone got any thoughts on the reasons for all the recent marine creature deaths?  I dont think there has been (relatively) more poo than usual dispatched into the sea of late   
THAT WAS A PARTY POLITICAL BROADCAST ON BEHALF OF WHAT'S LEFT OF THE LABOUR PARTY.
Issued by the fellowship of political opportunists and associated desperate bodies.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

I wouldn't put it down to pollution, or there'd be more than just crabs littering the beach. An exposed/ damaged cable is a distinct possibility and don't dismiss our foreign factory fish  'friends' dumping excess catch overboard either.
Always odd when it's just one species.

eddy

Well no one else on here seems bothered at holding people to account anymore, unless they are labour. 

See also the main page of the 'Post which stopped getting update once Labour lost control of the council.  Should change the moto, fighting for impartial local democracy, so long as those in the wrong are coloured red

Inspector Knacker

You are coming across as a spokesman for the Party you obey. It"s as though you're having to scramble around to find things to have a pop at the Tories for, they really get under your skin by merely existing.
Your vote was sold t9 the Labour Party along with your soul probably so this is to be expected.
I'm a floating voter, always will be, I'll have choice.... but you'll just trudge to the polling booth on auto pilot and do what your programmed to do.

diSme

I couldn't give two shits about political persuasions when it comes to issues like this. I'm quite sure that there was at least one article in the last few weeks/months regarding dead fish and birds on our local beaches.
I will try and find them....

Something is causing this, and it's something that needs identifying and addressing.

Edit to add -

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/people/vets-warning-over-beach-visits-after-pets-fall-ill-sickness-and-diarrhoea-3129413

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/public-urged-to-stay-away-after-dead-humpback-whale-washed-up-on-north-east-beach-3171895

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/environment/sad-worrying-situation-as-high-number-of-dead-birds-found-on-hartlepool-beaches-3390969

I'm positive there was also a recent Mail report about numerous dead fish on the beach, but I'm unable to find it..

A friend I have who is based in Redcar has said similar things are happening in Redcar and Marske. He forwarded this -

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/piles-sea-creatures-wash-up-21966042
I believe everything and nothing

diSme

I'd be interested to hear what Mortimer has to say about the issue, and why she voted as she did.

Perhaps the local rag might quiz her about it......  ::)

eddy

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on October 25, 2021, 08: PM
You are coming across as a spokesman for the Party you obey. It"s as though you're having to scramble around to find things to have a pop at the Tories for, they really get under your skin by merely existing.
Your vote was sold t9 the Labour Party along with your soul probably so this is to be expected.
I'm a floating voter, always will be, I'll have choice.... but you'll just trudge to the polling booth on auto pilot and do what your programmed to do.

Did I ever tell you I have previously voted Lib Dem, I think I did but you are way too blinkered with opinions and pre-conceptions !

Re: Jills response, there is a comprehensive and lengthy explanation on her social media page about why she took the stance she did.  Its more or less identical to that posted by many other conservative MPs who have been called out by their constituents.  It all looks well crafted by a spin doctor at Conservative HQ and shared around the MPs whatsapp for ease of re-use, in case anyone was hoping for some evidence of novel or independent thought.  Interestingly some people on local FB groups have been blocked by Jill for questioning her rational, the local sea swimming group have also invited her for a dip (if she believes the water is so clean) but she is yet to respond.

Maybe she needs to give Ben a shout and get him to throw a couple of grand at her for paid for Facebook good news adverts that spam everyone on Teesside to try and take some of the heat out.  Yes we did loose a hundred or so jobs at Cleveland Bridge but I just blown up the old Dorman and Long tower and didn't it look impressive

diSme

Quote from: eddy on October 26, 2021, 03: PM

Re: Jills response, there is a comprehensive and lengthy explanation on her social media page about why she took the stance she did.  Its more or less identical to that posted by many other conservative MPs who have been called out by their constituents.  It all looks well crafted by a spin doctor at Conservative HQ and shared around the MPs whatsapp for ease of re-use, in case anyone was hoping for some evidence of novel or independent thought.  Interestingly some people on local FB groups have been blocked by Jill for questioning her rational, the local sea swimming group have also invited her for a dip (if she believes the water is so clean) but she is yet to respond.

Maybe she needs to give Ben a shout and get him to throw a couple of grand at her for paid for Facebook good news adverts that spam everyone on Teesside to try and take some of the heat out.  Yes we did loose a hundred or so jobs at Cleveland Bridge but I just blown up the old Dorman and Long tower and didn't it look impressive

Yeah I've just read it myself.

She has clearly toed the party line, I have no doubts about that.

She should be open to questioning and criticism about it. She gets paid enough.......

Inspector Knacker

MP toes Party line.... Whoa....we've never had one of them before.. er, yes we have. But no one gave a toss because that's what Labour MP's do. But any tenuous link 'excites' Eddy.
Meanwhile back to the poor crabs..... pollution seems a tenuous link, with only crabs affected it would appear to be a very selective form of pollution. So where's it from? Tees? Well the tides move in a southerly direction so that's a puzzler at the North Sands but again a very selective pollutant. Hmmmm. Underwater cables is a possibility, but if so, as a new phenomenon it should now become a regular event, but why in such large numbers at irregular intervals, any such event would not affect such large numbers and why just crabs?
I suspect a very simple answer to this.

notenoughsaid

Whilst keeping an open mind on the cause of the crab situation I was talking to a local fisherman (H'Pool) last night and he assured all is well with the crabs in deeper cool water. He stated that with the inshore water a lot warmer than usual lots of crustaceans have stayed away from the nook and crannies they live in and have been casting their shells.  He added that when this situation arose it followed a strong northeasterly gale which caught them out literally. Armed with this info I checked some of the the photos on HPF face book site and a lot of the debris comprises of hollow cast shells. The rest are probably soft crabs having just cast and suffered damage as a result of being thrown about by the sea.    Despite the loss lets hope he is right.

Inspector Knacker

The dog was interested in them on the North Sands when they first appeared and they were mostly hollow shells. Sounds like Mother Nature.