The death of democracy

Started by diSme, October 22, 2021, 12: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diSme

So the coronavirus act was extended for a further 6 months without a full parliamentary vote after the deputy speaker says "it's not the mood of the house to vote on the issue"....

So they only vote on issues now when the mood takes them??
I believe everything and nothing

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: diSme on October 22, 2021, 12: AM
So the coronavirus act was extended for a further 6 months without a full parliamentary vote after the deputy speaker says "it's not the mood of the house to vote on the issue"....

Bizarre ... and somewhat disturbing. Did they think it might not get through? The way things are looking I can see some of the simpler restrictions coming back sooner rather than later - masks etc.. One of the major daily newspapers reckoned that plan C (mixing in private homes being banned) was on the cards, too (although the government's denied that this is being actively considered). We'll see. I can't see the government daring to 'cancel' another Christmas (although the veiled warning comments are back).

diSme

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on October 22, 2021, 02: PM
Quote from: diSme on October 22, 2021, 12: AM

Bizarre ... and somewhat disturbing. Did they think it might not get through? The way things are looking I can see some of the simpler restrictions coming back sooner rather than later - masks etc.. One of the major daily newspapers reckoned that plan C (mixing in private homes being banned) was on the cards, too (although the government's denied that this is being actively considered). We'll see. I can't see the government daring to 'cancel' another Christmas (although the veiled warning comments are back).
I find it quite deeply disturbing, and I don't understand why more people aren't talking about it and fully understanding the gravity of the precedence that parliament have set in doing what they have done.....

There is a video of the parliamentary discussion floating about (sorry I don't have a link to hand, but will try find it when I get chance) that upon watching gives a much better impression of how it went down. It seems to be very much a 'we will do as we see fit' situation.

EDIT - The short/crux version -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pHX75wpGys&t

If you don't see a problem with this in a supposedly democratic society..........
I believe everything and nothing