The Great Wall of Hartlepool.

Started by Inspector Knacker, March 17, 2019, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

That was the name given to the now being demolished wall in the dual carriageway outside the college. It was built after problems with college students and others taking short cuts over the dual carriageway as the central reservation had only grass, flower beds and trees. The wall was built for a purpose, road safety. What's changed, are the roads safer, the traffic dodgers so full of junk food they couldn't leg it across if they wanted to?
I've noticed over the years that the wall and the shrubs were not just neglected but apparently ignored. The shrubs gave up the ghost years ago and the flapping weed suppressant sheet gave a familiar 'wave' as you drove by, no doubt any visitors stood in standing traffic on the main road into town.
Not so much destination Hartlepool as destination despair.
It would have took no great effort to maintain the plants, power wash the brickwork annually and paint the rails, but they never were. But then it's so much easier to get change when things look so run down. But why were they left to run down in the first place.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Topcat

Perhaps they over ordered the block paving when they did Church Street and there was no room in the mythical warehouse to store the excess ,it being full of carpets,the old shopping centre clock and half the contents of the old museum,so they needed a new project to use them up on.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Topcat on March 17, 2019, 01: PM
Perhaps they over ordered the block paving when they did Church Street and there was no room in the mythical warehouse to store the excess ,it being full of carpets,the old shopping centre clock and half the contents of the old museum,so they needed a new project to use them up on.
I bet that mythical warehouse is the size of the one on Indiana Jones
I did notice the central reservation has been block paved but they kept the old kerbs in place.

Lucy Lass-Tick

The mythical warehouse? More like the Tardis.

Land Phil

From recent glamour shots of our leaders, the background leads me to believe the civic walls are stuffed with art that was intended for public viewing.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Land Phil on March 17, 2019, 06: PM
From recent glamour shots of our leaders, the background leads me to believe the civic walls are stuffed with art that was intended for public viewing.
I doubt they'd know what 'art' is.

pieface

Quote from: Topcat on March 17, 2019, 01: PM
Been using some of them or buying more also on the king oswy drive shops revamp project by the looks of it. Way overpriced brand used. Covered in gum and big belly expensive bins already.

Mr H

I drove that road today past the college for the first time in months, I actually think it looks a lot nicer without the wall

Inspector Knacker

The wall was there for a reason, no doubt a flyover without walls on the side look nicer too, but that's not the point.
A great fuss was made at the time the wall was erected after problems with people trying to cross the dual carriageway. It looks like it did it's job.
From an aesthetic viewpoint it looks like they're trying to recreate that windswept look they achieved in Church Street.